Organization: Population Council
Apply By: 20 Feb 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization:
Founded in 1952, New York ,The Population Council is an international, nonprofit, non-governmental organization. The Council conducts research in biomedicine, social science, and public health and helps build research capacities in developing countries. It also provides a forum for discussion on related issues of public policy and Studies in Family Planning, which focuses on public health, social science, and biomedical research involving sexual and reproductive health, fertility, and family planning.
Reporting To: Country Director and Director of Business Development
This position contributes equally to country program management (or other operational function) in the country office and business development (BD) at the country and regional level in collaboration with BD colleagues on Population Council global BD efforts. The primary functions are to support 1) country level program development, management, implementation, and operations and 2) BD to grow and sustain a diverse portfolio of donors to carry out the Council’s mission and achieve impact in the country and regionally.
The Program and Business Development Manager will work closely with the Country Director to provide day-to-day management, operational and technical support, and quality assurance for an assigned program or portfolio of work as the country director designates. The Program and Business Development Manager will work with the Director of Business Development or delegate, in communication with the Country Director, to identify, pursue, and secure BD initiatives at the country and regional level. This position includes collaboration with the Country Director and technical staff to cultivate partners and donors and to position for and develop proposals. The Program and Business Development Manager will help represent both streams of work to Council staff, colleagues, partners, donors, government representatives, and other stakeholders.
Program management support for a range of country-based program activities. Duties could include:
- Liaising with country-based staff, donors, partner organizations, and consultants on technical, financial, and operational aspects of projects;
- Ensuring quality and timeliness of program outputs such as technical and financial reports, presentations, and preparing documents for communication and dissemination of results.
- Ensuring contractual compliance of project activities and budgets;
- Providing programmatic back-stopping and trouble-shooting at Council headquarters
Management of the country’s BD initiatives to develop and sustain a robust donor base of multi-and bilateral donors, foundations, and corporate entities, as appropriate, by:
- Working with Population Council researchers to identify, analyze, and develop strategic new business opportunities related to the organization’s research initiatives and strategic priorities.
- Conducting desk and field-based research to identify a range of donors and business opportunities at the country level.
- Cultivating and strengthening relationships with current and potential project partners and helping position the Council for new BD opportunities.
- Analyzing solicitations issued by donors; exploring and developing partnership options; and facilitating a process for decision-making about the opportunity.
- Overseeing the proposal development process with guidance from the Country Director, and as appropriate, the headquarters BD staff, and working closely with program and operations staff and external partner organizations. This includes, in collaboration with the Country Director, negotiation of partner roles and responsibilities, and planning and facilitation of internal and external strategy meetings, including travel to sites, and timelines for proposals.
- Drafting sections of technical proposals such as the management plan, capability, staffing, and other non-technical sections, as well as technical pieces according to skill set.
- Working with the Finance Managers and Grants and Contracts staff members to develop winning cost proposals through strategic input into the presentation of budget templates and cost narratives.
- Reviewing draft and final proposals to ensure synergy between the technical and cost proposals and the solicitation.
- Collaboration with the global BD team to ensure the Council BD procedures, protocols, templates, and reporting practices are used at the country level to help standardize BD practices across the organization
- As necessary and strategic, collaborate with global, headquarters-based BD Managers to contribute to global proposal development efforts
- Work with Council offices and departments, including Grants and Contracts, Office of the CFO, Office of the General Counsel, and Human Resources to support program and business development needs.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s or advanced degree in Business Administration, Public Health, Social Sciences, Public Policy or related field.
- Experience with and knowledge of the country’s public health and international development community.
- At least five years of experience in business development and proposal writing for donors such as the United States government, bi- and multilateral and foundation donors, and Corporates in India and/or abroad.
- Demonstrated network of relationships with corporate and non-corporate sector on social programs and/or research
- Demonstrated ability in project management for a range of donors, including financial management and monitoring and completion of benchmarks/milestones.
- Strategic thinking, with the capacity to understand the big picture while maintaining a penchant for detail.
- Initiative, superior organizational ability, and diplomatic, representational, problem-solving, interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage teams of multi-disciplinary staff and partner agencies under tight deadlines, and to work well in a team environment.
- Excellent writing skills for diplomatic, comprehensive, and clear communications to staff, partners, and donors, and for drafting content of technical and commercial tenders.
- Willingness to travel within the country and internationally as needed.
For more information please check the Link