Applications Invited for Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2021
Organization: Commonwealth Writers
Event Duration: 02 Sep. 2020 - 01 Nov. 2020
Apply By: 01 Nov 2020
About the Organization:
Commonwealth Writers is the cultural initiative of the Commonwealth Foundation. They inspire and connect writers and storytellers across the world, bringing personal stories to a global audience. Commonwealth Writers believes in the transformative power of creative expression in all its forms. They work with local and international partners to identify and deliver a wide range of cultural projects. Their activities take place in Commonwealth countries, but our community is global.
Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2021
The Commonwealth Short Story Prize started in 2012 with the launch of Commonwealth Writers. Free to enter and with a global reach across five continents, the Prize seeks out talented writers and brings stories from new and emerging voices to an international audience. Stories often come from countries with little or no publishing infrastructure and from places that are marked by geographical, geopolitical, or economic isolation.
The Prize attracts between 5,000 and 6,000 entries each year from almost all of the 54 countries of the Commonwealth. It is awarded for the best piece of unpublished short fiction.
Each regional winner receives £2,500, and their story is published online on Granta, the magazine of new writing. One of the regional winners is then selected as the overall winner, who receives £5,000 one of the highest amounts for an international prize for unpublished short stories.
- Entrants must be citizens of a Commonwealth country.
- There is no requirement for the writer to have current residence in a Commonwealth country, providing that they are a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
- Entrants must be aged 18 years or over on 1 November 2020.
- All entries will be accepted at the discretion of the Commonwealth Foundation which will exercise its judgment, in consultation with the prize chair, in ruling on questions of eligibility.
- Entries from previous overall winners of the Commonwealth Short Story Prize are not eligible. Entries from previous regional winners are eligible.
- Entries from current members of staff at the Commonwealth Foundation are not eligible.
- Entries must be unpublished and remain unpublished in any language until 1 May 2021.
Guidelines for Submission
- Entries, including those in translation, must be made by the original author.
- Entries will only be accepted via the online entry form.
- Only one entry per writer may be submitted for the Commonwealth Short Story Prize.
- The story must be the entrant’s own work.
- The story must be original work and should not have been published anywhere, in full or in part, in any language, before 1 May 2021.
- Entries must be 2,000 words minimum, 5,000 words maximum (not including the title).
- Entries should be uploaded in a PDF document. Please save your document as a PDF and use the title of the story as the file name.
- Please note that the story must not be saved as ‘Commonwealth Story’, ‘Short Story’, or any other generic title.
- All entries should be submitted in Arial 12-point font and double line spacing. All pages should be numbered and include a header with the title of the story.
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
Latest Tenders And EOIs
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd