Applications Invited for DBT & BIRAC Call for Proposals on Anti-SARS-CoV-2/nCoV-2 Virus Studies using Botanical Ingredients & Traditional Formulations
Organization: Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC)
Apply By: 03 Jul 2020
Grant Amount: 10000000 INR
DBT & BIRAC Call for Poposals - Anti- SARS-CoV-2 /nCoV-2 Virus Studies using Botanical Ingredients and Traditional Formulations
About the Organization:
Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) is a not-for-profit Section 8, Schedule B, Public Sector Enterprise, set up by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India as an Interface Agency to strengthen and empower the emerging Biotech enterprise to undertake strategic research and innovation, addressing nationally relevant product development needs.
SARS-CoV-2 is an envelope, positive-sense, single-stranded RNA β-corona virus and shown similarity with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) viruses. So far as its entry and pathogenicity is concerned, SARS-CoV-2 enters into cells through binding of its spike proteins with host cell receptors, Angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) and leads to down regulation of the ACE2 receptor. This leads to viral entry and replication, as well as severe lung injury. The occurrence of COVID-19 elevated intense attention not only within India but internationally. No specific therapeutics is available, and current management includes travel restrictions, lockdown, patient isolation, and supportive medical care.
Therefore, there is an urgent need for its management and prevention. There is no specific treatment except managing the symptoms of SARI (Severe Acute Respiratory Infection). In some countries anti-HIV drugs are being tried while in India antimalarial drug HCQ (Hydroxy Chloroquine) is given as prophylaxis to high risk Health Care Personnel. The available data suggests that there is no specific treatment in modern medicine. Health supplements like Vitamin C, Zinc etc., are being used for the immunity boosting.
To manage COVID-19 pandemic through the application of medicinal and aromatic plants, project proposals are solicited by Industry/Academia/ Industry-Academia in following research areas:
- Development of experimental models for evaluation of anti-viral activity of extracts, fractions and phytochemical constituents from medicinal and aromatic plants
- Screening of extracts, fractions, phytochemical constituents and traditional formulations from medicinal and aromatic plant against SARS-CoV2
- Studies on extracts, fractions and phytochemical constituents from medicinal & aromatic plants
The proposals can be submitted by:
- Company (Start-up, Small, Medium or Large) incorporated under the Companies Act, 2013 having a minimum of 51% of the shares of the Company to be held by Indian Citizens (Indian passport holders).
- Limited liability Partnership (LLP) incorporated under the Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008 having a minimum half of the persons who have subscribed their names to the LLP document as its Partners should be Indian citizens
- Academia (Public or Private Research Institute, University) having a well-established support system for research. The institute should have been established in India and have NAAC/ UGC/ AICTE or any equivalent recognition certificate or any other Public/ Government supported organization
(NOTE: The applicant Company/LLP should have adequate in-house facility to address the project implementation (which shall be evaluated during the proposal evaluation) or incubated with any of the recognized incubation facility. DSIR certificate is not mandatory).
- Funding Support would be in the form of Grant‐in‐aid
- The extent of funding will depend on the proposed activities. However, under no circumstances the total project cost would exceed Rs. 100 lakhs.
Depending on the nature of the applicant (academia or a Company/LLP), the funding will be made available by DBT or BIRAC. While academic organizations will be supported by DBT, companies/LLPs will receive support from BIRAC.
- If the project involves only industry/LLP then the financial support from BIRAC would be restricted to a maximum of 50% of the total approved Project cost. The remaining 50% cost would be borne by the Applicant company/LLP subject.
- If the project involves only academia, the entire cost would be borne by DBT
- If the project involves both industry/LLP and an academic partner, financial support from BIRAC to the industrial/LLP partners would not exceed more than 50% of the total budget of the industrial/LLP partners. The remaining 50% cost would be borne by the Applicant company/LLP subject. However, the entire cost to the academic partner/s would be borne by DBT.
Project Duration: up to 18 months
Deadline: July 03, 2020.
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
Latest Tenders And EOIs
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd