Applications Invited for ProtectDefenders.eu Call for proposals for Shelter Initiatives programme
Apply By: 21 Oct 2020
Grant Amount: 60000 Euro
About the Organization:
ProtectDefenders.eu is the European Union Human Rights Defenders mechanism, established to protect defenders at high risk and facing the most difficult situations worldwide. Led by a Consortium of 12 NGOs active in the field of Human Rights. ProtectDefenders.eu is implemented by a Consortium of twelve international organisations with a proven track record in the field of protection, campaigning and advocacy in favour of Human Rights Defenders.
Call for proposals “Shelter Initiatives” programme
ProtectDefenders.eu, the renewed EU Human Rights Defenders mechanism, through its “Shelter Initiatives” programme, aims to support human rights defenders (HRDs) who are carrying out their activities in the most difficult contexts and facing immediate risks, to make sure they have access to comprehensive temporary relocation programmes. The “Shelter Initiatives” programme contributes to enhancing and increasing the capacity of shelters and other initiatives for the temporary relocation of HRDs at risk at local and regional level, and its specific objectives are:
- Providing direct material and financial support to new and emerging shelter programmes to develop and strengthen their capacity to deliver effective temporary relocation through a call for proposals;
- Providing advice and expertise and facilitating networking opportunities and knowledge-sharing between initiatives.
The submitted proposals shall aim to contribute to enhancing local and regional Temporary Relocation Programmes (TRPs) for HRDs at risk, and aim to achieve, at least, one of the following specific objectives:
- Implement a feasibility research to decide on the establishment (or not) of a new TRP at local/regional level and its characteristics;
- Establish new TRPs working at local/regional level;
- Amplify the scope of existing TRPs working at local/regional level (by including family members, incorporating new countries of origin, including new profiles of HRDs from the groups of “particularly targeted defenders”, adding a new relocation method, increasing the number of HRDs hosted, etc.)
- Strengthen existing TRPs working at local/regional level in order to guarantee a holistic or integral approach to protection as well as a measurable gender perspective (by consolidating the existing and/or offer new activities for HRDs during their relocation, by strengthening the capacities of the team working in the programme, improving the space where HRDs live during their relocation, etc.)
- Look for advice and expertise, networking opportunities, knowledge-sharing between initiatives.
- Local/regional level: The relocation of HRDs at risk must be implemented in the same country or region where defenders work.
- Integral approach: TRPs should adopt a holistic approach, which goes beyond the relocation itself, considering it as part of a process aimed at protecting and strengthening the capacities of HRDs at risk in different aspects of their holistic security, such as: psychosocial, legal, digital and physical.
- Gender perspective: Taking into account the particularities pertaining to the lives of women, men, trans, non-binary intersex people and people with indigenous gender identities, while aiming to eliminate inequalities and promote gender equality, including an equal distribution of resources, therefore addressing and taking into account the gender dimension.
- Particularly targeted defenders: WHRDs (Women Human Rights Defenders), LGBTI+ HRDs, environmental, land, and indigenous peoples’ rights defenders, defenders operating in conflict areas, defenders from remote areas & less connected, defenders with disabilities.
- Non-eligible countries (where shelters cannot be based – other regions are being prioritised as there is already considerable capacity in Western countries): Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States.
- Non-eligible costs: Costs related to individual support for HRDs for emergency or temporary relocation are NOT eligible in this call (except during the pilot stage of a new initiative).
Eligibility criteria and eligible activities
Based on its objectives, the “Shelter Initiatives” programme proposes different criteria for new initiatives and for existing activities.
New initiatives or feasibility studies
Eligibility criteria for new initiatives or feasibility studies
- Entities legally established (non-profit organisations, cities, universities, rehabilitation programmes, etc.) in a country other than those listed in the non-eligible countries in point 2.2.
- Entities with proven experience in the field of human rights, preferably with HRDs, and more specifically in the protection of HRDs.
The proposed initiative has to include the temporary relocation of HRDs at risk working in a country other than those listed in the non-eligible countries in point 2.2, ensure that HRDs at risk are temporarily relocated in the same country or region where they work as defenders, guarantee an integral approach to the protection of HRDs during the relocation, and incorporate gender perspective.
Eligible activities for new initiatives or feasibility studies
- Feasibility research (the maximum amount that can be requested for this activity is EUR 12 000): consultant/staff to do the research, travel (to visit key actors, to build or strengthen networks, to attend key events), organisation of events for discussion and consultation (regional or national meetings, workshops, etc.).
- Planning/Pilot stage and Implementation stage: administrative and operational costs, staff consultants, equipment/improvement/ expenses of the space in which HRDs will live, meetings, workshops, training for the programme staff, organisation of events for discussion of protocols and guidelines with key actors, creation of promotional materials; administrative and operational costs (up to 35%, assessed on a case-by-case basis), expenses related to the logistics of receiving HRD(s) during the pilot stage.
Existing shelters and other relocation initiatives
Eligibility criteria for existing initiatives
- Entities legally established (non-profit organisations, cities, universities, rehabilitation programmes, etc.) in a country other than those listed in the non-eligible countries at point 2.2.
- Entities hosting a temporary relocation programme for HRDs at risk in the same country or region where hosted HRDs carry out their human rights activities.
Eligible activities for existing initiatives
- Payroll of staff/consultants, recruitment of relevant expert staff/as consultants (psychologist, doctor, lawyer, childminders, etc.), psychosocial care for the team, training, learning exchanges, participation in related events, organisation of events, ground missions, refurbishment/maintenance/improvement/ equipment/services/rent of the space in which participants live during their relocation, digital improvements, development of promotional materials, external evaluation, networking/fundraising strategies, sharing of experiences, research, systematization, administrative and operational costs (up to 35%, assessed on a case-by-case basis).
- Maximum amount to be allocated to an entity: EUR 60 000 between January 4 2021 and August 31 2022. While one entity may submit several applications and apply for different types of support, the total amount should not exceed EUR 60 000 for the same entity for the whole period.
- ProtectDefenders.eu shall not be liable for any costs associated with the preparation, transfer, or presentation of any materials submitted as a part of this application.
The application must be submitted via E-mail to email@example.com, with the subject “Concept Note-NAME OF THE ENTITY”
Deadline: October 21 2020
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
Latest Tenders And EOIs
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd