RFP - Baseline Study for Estimation of Carbon Stocks in Biodiversity Conservation Plots
Organization: ITC Limited
Apply By: 30 Sep 2021
Request for Proposal
for Baseline Study for Estimation of Carbon Stocks in Biodiversity Conservation Plots promoted by ITC’s Mission Sunehra Kal Programme
ITC’s Mission Sunehra Kal (MSK) primarily aims at strengthening the livelihoods of its stakeholder communities and preparing them for a better future. Apart from catering to the needs of communities, MSK programmes also contribute to SDG goals, the nation’s priority areas in development and ITC’s sustainability commitments. The major initiatives aimed at strengthening livelihoods include Natural Resources Management, Climate Smart Agriculture, Social Forestry and Livestock Development. Natural resources management aims at enriching water, soil and soil
health, and biodiversity.
The Natural Resources Management interventions, in addition to delivering various socioeconomic benefits, also aim at the reduction of GHG emissions from ongoing activities and addition to the carbon stock through sequestration.
The primary purpose of this study is to establish the baseline for the biodiversity conservation
done by ITC MSK.
Objectives of the Study:
The key objective of the study is to establish baselines for the biodiversity conservation plots promoted by ITC MSK.
The above measurement should be done using the relevant standards available at Gold Standard, Verra and CDM, including the methodological requirements of the CDM methodology ARACM0003, tools for estimation of carbon stocks in trees, shrubs etc., supported by relevant sampling requirements
Scope of Work:
This study will estimate baseline for biodiversity conservation plots. The specific requirements
to be covered in the study are as follows:
- In each of the state where ITC has initiated work in last year (2020-21) and is planning to initiate in current year (2021-22) biodiversity conservation works, clustering to be done based on similar growth conditions based on agro-climatic zones or any other technically recommended methodology as provided in the above-referred standards
- In each of the cluster, identify sample plots through statistically appropriate sampling methodology and as guided by the standards.
- Estimate the baseline conditions in each of the identified sample plots covering above ground carbon stock in trees, shrubs, deadwood, litter and below ground soil organic carbon. The measurements should be governed by the above-referred standards.
- In each of the cluster, post finalisation of the sample plots, establish baselines by estimating existing biomass (which includes trees, shrubs and herbaceous vegetation) as well as soil organic carbon. The measurements should be governed by the existing methodologies.
- Cluster wise, extrapolate baselines based on the area covered through the programme during the year
- Develop and recommend the methodology to be followed for periodical impact assessment in future so as to assess carbon sequestration due to ITC’s biodiversity conservation work
- Cluster list and methodology followed for clustering.
- Sample plot list and methodology followed in selecting the plots.
- Sample plot wise baseline carbon stock estimates – above ground and below ground.
- Cluster wise extrapolated baseline carbon stock estimates – above ground and below ground.
- Measurement report of carbon pool in each of the identified sample plots, including soil samples taken, test reports etc
The agency is required to present the structure of the team proposed for the assignment with snapshot on years of experience, areas of expertise, roles and responsibilities assigned to each of the team members. Detailed CVs are to be attached as annexure.
Organizational Expertise and Team Deployed
- The agency should have at least 5 years of experience in undertaking impact assessment and baseline studies and have prior experience in assessment of programmes in Biodiversity Conservation, as well as in quantitative and qualitative data collection, collation, compilation, and analysis.
- The agency should deploy a gender balanced team, having experience and expertise in carrying out assignments of similar nature with a team leader having strong experience in Baselines, Impact Assessment and Biodiversity Conservation.
The agency to propose a suitable timeline taking Covid related restrictions and limitations into
For submission of RFP or any further queries all correspondence may be directed to:
To download the full ToR, click here
Latest Online Store
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd