RFP for Enabling women’s access to safe and decent jobs and livelihoods
Organization: UN Women
Apply By: 08 Aug 2022
About the Organization
UN Women is the United Nations entity dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality, and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programmes and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and truly benefit women and girls worldwide. It works globally to make the vision of the Sustainable Development Goals a reality for women and girls and stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on four strategic priorities:
- Women lead, participate in and benefit equally from governance systems
- Women have income security, decent work and economic autonomy
- All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence
- Women and girls contribute to and have greater influence in building sustainable peace and resilience, and benefit equally from the prevention of natural disasters and conflicts and humanitarian action.
About the Proposal
India is the fastest major growing economy in the world. Despite major strides in economic growth, the gender imbalance in women’s employment and entrepreneurship remains a major challenge. The economic impact of achieving gender equality is estimated to be US$700 billion of added GDP by 2025. Even so, women in India continue to struggle for equal access to opportunities. The labor force participation rate of women in India stands at 19%. This poor participation in the labour force has often been attributed to a lack of employment opportunities coupled with stability in family income. This has resulted in a return to traditional division of labour within the family, compounded by unsafe workplaces and working conditions, wage disparity, a deficit of women’s technical skills and socio-cultural norms relegating women to the domestic space. The NITI Aayog estimates that in India, women do 9.8 times as much unpaid care and domestic work as men, against the global average of 2.8 times.
Women’s self-employment is synonymous with informal employment, with over 90 per cent of women’s self-employment being in the informal sector. The Covid-19 pandemic and its preventive measures are driving a disproportionate increase in women’s unemployment. Women have suffered a much higher unemployment rate of 17 per cent compared to 6 per cent for men because of the pandemic.
The learning from UN Women’s Second Chance Education and Vocational Learning Programme (SCE) in four states of India that captured experiences of women and girls highlighted that finding job opportunities were restricted due to the lack of degrees and/or diplomas from higher education/training institutes, lack of employable skills (domain and transferable skills) and lack of entrepreneurship opportunities. Moreover, a need to focus on targeted interventions around establishing links with the job offerors and employers such as private and public companies, factory and shop floors as well as relevant agencies was felt.
To address this, UN Women is partnering with TATA Trent and Voltas in the two states of Gujarat, and Maharashtra for enabling decent and safe employment for qualified women in factory and shop floors after the required selection process. The intervention is a part of larger collaboration with India’s top private sector leaders through UN Women’s Business Sector Advisory Council.
UN Women seeks the services of a civil society organization (hereinafter referred as proponent organization) working with community-based organizations of women in the two states of Gujarat, and Maharashtra to mobilize and train them for employment opportunities/ absorption in jobs such as Trent’s shop floors, Voltas’s factory floors as well as other potential employers after a suitable selection process. The intervention will contribute to following outcome:
Outcome: More women lead participation and have access to business opportunities to advance sustainable and inclusive growth.
The CSO may intent to enter subcontract with relevant agencies in the two states for greater outreach.
Scope of Work
- Identify and mobilize 1200 women with relevant education requirements for job placements at factory and shop floors in Maharashtra, and Gujarat and ensure atleast 70% placement at the factory and shop floors. UN Women will create linkages with employers such as TATA Trent, Voltas and other potential employers for placement.
- Train the women in basic English-speaking skills for women’s employment at Trent’s shop floors.
- Building the capacity of a women led federation to act as recruitment agency that can provide information about women job seekers to Trent and Volas as and when there are vacancies. This will entail but not limited to:
- Identifying and mobilizing right kind of talent as per requirement
- Creating a database of women
- Identifying capacity gaps among women job seekers as per the requirements and supporting /directing them towards relevant referral services such as skills training programmes, resume building services, interview preparations
- Providing services around resume building
- Identifying companies for placement
- Creating linkages with universities, educational institutions, ITIs etc. for match making among job seekers and employers.
- Create linkages of women artisans/self-help groups producing handicrafts/homeware/lifestyle products with opportunities existing at Trent’s shop floors.
Qualifications of the Organisation:
- Five years of work experience on the issue of women’s empowerment and Livelihood;
- Significant outreach with women in the project locations and demonstrable capacity to mobilize them for participation in the programme.
- Demonstrable capacity to mobilize relevant stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of designing, conducting and monitoring of trainings/ capacity building workshops on vocational training including conversational English / women’s livelihood initiatives;
- Understanding of the local context and knowledge on the structure and functioning of vocational training system is desirable;
- Demonstrable experience in advocacy initiatives with Government and other key stakeholders;
- Ability to deliver efficiently large-scale mobilization and training programmes in a defined timeline;
- Documenting, analyzing the change in learning outcomes through Monitoring & Evaluation tools
Qualifications of Team Lead:
- Post-graduate degree in social sciences or international development.
- Minimum ten years working experience Women’s empowerment programmes and good understanding and experience of UN.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing skilling and livelihood programmed for women and girls.
- Sound knowledge on human rights based approaches to programming on Women’s empowerment and livelihood.
- Excellent analytical skills and communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent report writing skills in English.
Qualifications of Team Members:
- Post-graduate degree in social sciences, international development or relevant field.
- At least seven years (for mid-level consultants) and five years (for junior consultants) experience in development, with specialisation in gender, social development and women’s rights.
- Significant knowledge and experience on working with girls and women on skilling and livelihood; gender equality into policies/programming/development.
- Excellent analytical skills and communication skills.
- Demonstrated writing skills in English with strong Hindi proficiency.
How to Apply
Proposals must be received by UN Women at the address specified not later than (time) 12:00 noon IST on 08th August 2022.
The budget range for this proposal should be INR 30,00,000/- to INR 35,00,000/- [Indian Rupees Thirty Lakhs to Thirty Five Lakhs Only].
All proposals should be sent by email to the following secure email address: email@example.com
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd