Subscribe our Weekly Newsletter
(Senior) Gender Specialist
Organization: Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Apply By: 02 Apr 2023
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
The (Senior) Gender Specialist (Private Sector) will be part of the PSOD gender team and focus on the development and enhancement of the gender mainstreaming aspects in ADB private sector investments. The incumbent will provide technical expertise on gender analysis, design features and innovative solutions to contribute to the ADB-wide corporate gender targets under ADB's Strategy 2030 and its operational directives, especially Strategy 2030 Operational Plan for Priority 2 (OP2): Accelerating Gender Equality.
The incumbent will report to the Chief of the Gender Equality Thematic Group, in coordination with the relevant PSOD Director. The PSOD Director will also provide supervisory inputs and feedback to the incumbent’s annual workplan and performance review. The position will supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.The incumbent will be strategically outposted to India for two years after initial one year period in ADB headquarters, Manila.
Gender Mainstreaming in Project Preparation and Administration
- Reviews project concept notes to identify potential for gender mainstreaming measures;
- Engages with investment teams and borrowers/clients to integrate gender designs in the projects in processing;
- Provides technical expertise on gender financing and women’s economic and social empowerment matters to investment teams and borrowers/clients, notably in agribusiness, finance and private equity finance, social sectors, inclusive infrastructure, renewable energy, and entrepreneurship development;
- Undertakes gender analysis for all assigned projects; defines gender performance indicators for projects which are categorized as some gender elements (SGE), effective gender mainstreaming (EGM) or gender equity theme (GEN) projects; and prepares gender action plans for EGM and GEN projects;
- Contributes with gender write-ups to project reports, and assists project teams to respond to gender related comments during the investment approval process;
- Monitors GEN and EGM projects under administration, providing client support for effective implementation of project gender action plans;
- Leads or contributes to gender achievement rating at project evaluation stage, conducting the assessment of the client’s gender results and preparing the inputs for the project completion reports; and
- As required, able to act as a mission leader / team lead, exercising supervision coordination, and planning responsibilities over the assigned team, with oversight from the Director or a more senior team leader.
Gender Monitoring & Evaluation
- Contributes to developing gender-related tools, templates and solutions for investment teams and clients;
- Actively assists PSOD portfolio teams in quality assurance and provides solutions on the identification, measurement and monitoring of gender results in private sector transactions;
- Contributes to all matters related to gender performance results with PSOD line divisions as well as ADB-wide, and represents PSOD in discussions, both internally as well as with external counterparts, on initiatives and activities related to gender in private sector operations;
- Provides robust feedback and views on the soundness of gender mainstreaming in private sector operations, and assists the line divisions in presenting such material to stakeholders and clients, both internal and external;
- Ensures the effective implementation of monitoring systems for gender development indicators;
- As required, analyses gender results and develops presentations on gender results as it relates to all private sector projects or tailored reports for specific projects, programs, geographies, sectors, stakeholders;
- Any other tasks that the Director, Gender, may assign to support ADB operations.
Partnerships and Knowledge Generation
- Forms strong partnerships with colleagues and clients to deliver on intended gender results;
- Proactively contributes to developing ADB offering on gender lens investing and gender solutions to enable clients to successfully design and meet their gender targets;
- Contributes to the development of innovations (e.g. tools), knowledge, learning and communications (such as tip-sheets, case-studies, events, blog articles) on gender and private sector internally and externally;
- Supports knowledge dissemination and capacity-building activities of PSOD internally as well as externally with clients and other stakeholders;
- Contributes to the development and implementation of activities under the gender regional technical assistance program;
- Carries out capacity assessment and provides capacity building assistance to PSOD staff and clients;
Organizational Systems and Frameworks
- Collaborates with regional departments to deliver ‘One-ABD’ transactions wherever possible;
- Liaises with gender specialists in regional departments and, where relevant to PSOD operations, supports their effort to build strategic partnerships in the region with women's national organizations, other multilateral and bilateral development partners, women's non-government organizations (NGO), and the private sector on gender in private sector issues.
- Provides leadership, technical guidance and support to national and administrative staff;
- Supervises the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance;
- Ensures the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Education Qualification/Required Skills & Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent in applied social science, gender and development studies, economic development, development finance, business administration or other related fields. A bachelor's degree in business, economic development, anthropology, sociology, applied social science or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
- Minimum 10 years of general work experience in gender and development, experience in private sector development finance strongly desired;
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in gender mainstreaming in development finance projects, gender analysis, and gender measurement indicators, preferably with expertise in development projects and experience at the field level incorporating gender mainstreaming activities in private sector projects;
- Demonstrated analytical and applied expertise in developing gender lens investing tools and dealing with private sector stakeholders in building and implementing gender initiatives;
- International experience working in development in several countries, preferably with a multilateral development bank or an international finance institution and/or demonstrated experience at the field level and with private sector projects in the region.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd