Development Goals Specialist – Sustainable Transport and Mobility
Apply By: 14 Dec 2022
Location: Chennai(Tamil Nadu)
About the Organization
As the United Nations lead agency on international development, UNDP works in 170 countries and territories to eradicate poverty and reduce inequality. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities, and to build resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. Our work is concentrated in three focus areas; sustainable development, democratic governance and peace building, and climate and disaster resilience.
- UNDP proposes to engage a Development Goals Associate – Sustainable Transport and Mobility to support SDGCC Tamil Nadu in its efforts to enhance development effectiveness by promoting sustainable transport. The incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks under the overall guidance of the Chief Development Goals Specialist, SDGCC Tamil Nadu (NPSA 11). S/He will ensure engagement of all direct stakeholders and delivery of project objectives, in coordination with the Government of Tamil Nadu when needed.
- Coordinate discussions with the relevant departments for design and development of specific interventions within the State for sustainable transport
- Support in drafting strategies, including the action plan for its implementation under the supervision of the concerned department / maintaining regular contacts and exchanges with departments and other stakeholders, collecting, and integrating comments received from reviews of the document
- Conduct policy research as required with particular attention to the reduction of imbalances across intra-state and to the enhancement of accessibility in urban areas; future transport sector planning and investment projects, and conducting foresight study to develop state-specific trends; comprehensive assessment of the current legal and regulatory framework for sustainable transport and attention to externalities of transport modes, including environmental, climate change, and air quality issues and travel safety;
- Identify potential partnerships in the sector to support innovative ideas for infrastructure improvement and new smart city solution and promotion of technological innovations in the transport sector
- Organize workshops, discussions, and meetings with practioners and stakeholders related to the thematic areas to share information and also to gain insights from the ground
- Supporting the CDGO in regular reporting to Steering Committee pertaining to the SDGCC
Education Qualification/Required Skills & Experience
- Masters' degree (or equivalent) in Policy development, Social Work, Business Administration, Public Health, Transport Planning, Transport Engineering or Environmental science or a related field; or
- Bachelor’s degree in policy development, Social Work, Business Administration, Public Health, Transport Planning, Transport Engineering or Environmental science
- Master’s degree with minimum of 5 years relevant experience in development in a governmental, private sector or multilateral organization with demonstrable experience in policy making for energy and/or the transport sector; or
- Bachelor’s Degree with 7 years relevant experience in development in a governmental, private sector or multilateral organization with demonstrable experience in policy making for energy and/or the transport sector.
- Demonstrated experience at the national or state level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organizations and governments.
- Excellent data analytical skills and interpretation.
- Must have ability to write clearly and concisely, and have sound quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data)
- In-depth understanding of the current state of the transport systems and the transport department in the Govt of Tamil Nadu and leverage domain expertise to analyse, formulate and recommend policy changes to relevant departments in order to achieve KPI’s.
- Have the requisite skills to formulate a roadmap in order to transition the Transport System and the Transport Department of the GoTN to a sustainable future keeping in mind the climate change risks associated with Transport emissions.
- Have the relevant skills and experience to conduct an in-depth analysis on the policy landscape pertaining to sustainable mobility, especially around Non Motorised Mobility such as Walking, Cycling and Last Mile Access to Mass Transit Systems and formulate policy recommendations in order to address mobility issues in cities in TN.
- Must have operational experience working and engaging with multiple levels of the Transport Department of Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Possess excellent technical skills in multi sectoral socio-economic research and project performance assessment.
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation of development project activities.
- Experience on project management, good computer knowledge and Proficiency of MS Office.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of development issues for the State of Tamil Nadu.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is essential.
- Knowledge of Local Language is desirable.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd