Organization: World Agroforestry (ICRAF)
Apply By: 25 Oct 2020
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization:
The World Agroforestry (ICRAF) is a non-profit global research organization that generates science-based knowledge about the diverse and important roles that trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. The Centre’s headquarters are in Nairobi, Kenya, and it conducts research in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. ICRAF is a member of the Consortium of 15 independent agricultural research centres of CGIAR.
Position: Junior Consultant (M.Sc) - One
Biochar application is emerging as a carbon negative technology to improve soil health, and support food, nutrition, water, climate, and health security. Sustainable and round the year availability of diverse feedstock is the biggest limiting factor in the production and use of biochar. A huge scope exists to use otherwise burned crop residues in the production of biochar. Therefore, a solution to sustainable and round the year availability of feedstock could be to use diverse raw material obtained from local agroforestry systems. With funding from GIZ, SARP is initiating a pilot project on developing a scalable approach to the production, processing and use of biochar, and developing the associated linkages between biochar producers and other value chain actors.
Objective: Assess the potential for biochar (production and application) and identify and prepare corresponding interventions in the target are (inception phase, module 1).
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Agriculture and in relevant subjects
- 1-2 Years of working experience, preferably with a CG center/UN agency or international research for development organization;
- work experience in agriculture and/or forestry related research and development projects;
- experience in biochar research and development preferred;
- Working under team and experienced in scientific analysis of literature and report writing as evidenced by published work/ project reports etc.
- Very good command of English.
Terms of Reference:
He/she will work under the Supervision of the Project Team on the below ToRs:
- Assessment of information on biochar application: Need based interventions will be identified to improve current practices and processes, equipment, and economic viability; and pilots will be developed to be used at individual, community and SME level. Review of biochar dose in agriculture according to soil type, crops, and its frequency & working on best practices.
- Any other relevant aspects identified during the study period.
Analysis report of the identified need-based interventions on:
- Current and improved practices and processes
- Equipment for producing biochar
- Economic viability
- Catalogue of best practices at scales of individual, community and SME level for:
- Feedstock and Production Technology
- Review document on biochar dose in agriculture according to soil type, crops, and its frequency & working on best practices.
Other knowledge and additional competences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required.
- Enthusiastic to cooperate and work in multidisciplinary teams
- Willingness to work in an intercultural environment
- Willingness to undertake domestic travel to the project sites, if required subjected to the COVID19 situation
- Excellent computer skills: Analytical skills, MS-Office, Internet Explorer, MS-Outlook
Duration of the contract: Six months
Remuneration: The consultancy fee will depend on the candidates experience and assessment during the selection process. Applicable taxes will be deducted as per Government of India norms.
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd