Principal Specialist / Lead Specialist Disaster Risk Financing
Organization: Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI)
Apply By: 01 Jul 2020
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
The Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI) is a multi-stakeholder global partnership of national governments, UN agencies and programmes, multilateral development banks and financing mechanisms, the private sector, and academic and knowledge institutions. It aims to address the challenges of building resilience into infrastructure systems and associated development. The vision, mission, goal and objectives of the CDRI are explicitly linked to the post-2015 development agendas. The Coalition will also contribute to the resilience of the global infrastructure systems in an increasingly interconnected world. The outcome of such collaboration would be aimed at building resilient economies and resilient people through cross-sector commitments at all levels towards adaptation and resilience with concrete outcomes that will bring resilience action to global scale.
The CDRI will support countries to upgrade their systems for ensuring disaster and climate resilience of existing and future infrastructure. It seeks to rapidly expand the development of and retrofit resilient infrastructure to respond to the SDGs objectives of expanding universal access to basic services, enabling prosperity, and decent work. CDRI envisions enabling measurable reduction in infrastructure losses from disasters including extreme climate events.
The Government of India has established a Society in New Delhi to act as the Secretariat of CDRI. The Secretariat functions under the direction of the international Governing Council and implements the programs of CDRI. This position is being advertised for staff positions on Fixed Term Contract of three (3) years.
Objective of this position:
To conceptualise, initiate, design, and implement projects, technical support and research activities relating to disaster risk financing of infrastructure sectors.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of disaster risk finance related projects and knowledge products in line with the aims of CDRI.
- Identify and draw on relevant experience and innovation from countries in terms of financing and budgeting DRR mainstreaming in infrastructure and diversifying funding streams – tools of different financing sources (ex-ante and ex-post, formal and informal, public and private), especially through strengthened Public Private Partnership (PPP) and innovative financing for DRR in infrastructure, and evidence in resultant resilience building at sub-national level.
- Study global best practice and Innovation in the area of disaster risk finance and identity opportunities of adapting and transferring such practices in various contexts
- Examine institutional gaps and needs for the development of financial regulation of disaster management funds world-wide;
- Coordinate closely with government agencies, development partners, insurance companies and other relevant stakeholders concerning disaster risk financing activities and maintain up-to-date information on their activities and programs.
- Support projects of CDRI from a risk financing and risk transfer lens.
- Develop linkages with national and international institutions of excellence working on issues related to disaster risk financing.
- Development and dissemination of a repertoire of risk financing/ guidance products.
- Attend and document meetings or consultations with external stakeholders as required.
- Demonstrated strategic, technical and intellectual skills in the substantive area;
- Demonstrated leadership, facilitation and coordination skills, ability to manage technical team;
- Proven ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams and multi-national teams;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
- Experience of handling risk assessment models, software packages, and project appraisal.
- Experience of working in international organisations or with international clients;
- Analytical and strategic planning skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities.
- The ability to present information and concepts clearly, both verbally and on paper.
- Proven ability to draw inputs from multiple disciplines and synthesize them to address specific problems.
- Familiarity with international frameworks like the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Sendai Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
- Strong interpersonal and written and oral communication skills;
- Past track record/Ability to work independently, deliver timely and quality products; and
- Computer proficiency, especially related to professional office software packages (Microsoft Office)
- Proven experience relevant to the assignment especially experience in the insurance, re-insurance sector, preferably in a large re-insurance companies e.g. Munich Re Swiss, Re or any other.
- Experience in disaster related fiscal risk and the design of disaster risk financing solutions.
- Experience in project appraisal of PPP and international projects.
- Past experience of implementing similar projects in developing countries and good understanding of disaster risk financing worldwide, would be an advantage.
Post-Graduate qualification in Actuarial Sciences, Economics, Commerce, Financial Management, or Business Administration, with specialization in Finance. PhD in relevant subject will be given additional weightage. A first-level university degree in combination with four additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
For Principal / Lead Specialist: Minimum 10 years of overall experience with at least 4 years of leadership in Disaster Risk Finance/Insurance regulatory organization/ Insurance sector/ Micro-finance sectors. Minimum 3 years of experience with international organisations or clients. Specific experience in disaster risk financing will be given additional weightage.
- This position is open to Indian nationals only.
- Candidates are requested to apply for only one of the Principal/Lead positions advertised, based on a self-assessment of experience and competence. Applying for more than one position may result in disqualification.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd