Program Associate - GEP
Organization: Room to Read
Apply By: 02 Jan 2021
About the Organization:
Room to Read is a global organization transforming the lives of millions of children in low-income communities by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. They work in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations, and governments to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and ensure girls can complete secondary school with the skills necessary to negotiate key life decisions.
Position: Program Associate - GEP
The Girls’ Education & Gender Equality Program (GEGEP) Associate spends the majority of his or her time providing guidance and capacitating the Social Mobilizers (SMs) and assists the Program Officer in carrying out all activities of the GEGEP. The position will be field based and will involve frequent travel to the areas of work. The work will entail providing guidance to social mobilizers, supporting and sometimes facilitating SM trainings, working with SMs regularly, as defined in the guiding documents to ensure that they are effective in their roles in working with girls.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Program Implementation and Training (Manage Social Mobilizers)
- Managing, guiding and enhancing capacity of a team of Social Mobilizers.
- Lead all weekly and monthly review and feedback sessions with direct reports
- Guiding SMs in planning and facilitating Room to Read’s Girls' Education Program activities. Support may include guiding an SM set her schedule of life skill session with girls, observing a session and providing feedback to the SM, or other activities needed to capacitate SMs to succeed in their core responsibilities.
- Capacitate and guide SMs to mentor girls both in person and through remote mentoring. This may include providing ideas for group discussion topics and coaching the SMs on how to handle difficult topics or ideate with them to identify opportunities for learning visits and engaging resource speakers.
- Lead all learning/exposure visits of girls with support from SMs.
- Guiding the SM in identifying and supporting girls at risk of dropping or failing out of school using Room to Read’s risk and response protocol.
- Conduct regular review meetings (on-line and in-person) with SMs (as per protocol) to discuss and identify solutions to challenges that SMs are facing in program implementation and in working with the girls and communities.
- Develop yearly goal and conduct annual performance review of SMs
- Lead all the Social Mobilizers’ trainings under the guidance of PO. This may include planning, developing and facilitating and/or co-facilitating training sessions both in person and online.
- Participate in regular trainings and meetings with Room to Read staff conducted by the Country Office.
- Ensure feedback is given to specific Social Mobilizers or Program Admin Assistant and recorded in written regularly.
- Develop a school profile for each of the enhanced schools and regularly updated
- Identify and document case studies at least 4 in a year and/or as required.
- Participate in donor field visits and provide information to donors about Room to Read’s Girls’ Education Program as needed.
- Facilitate in developing one state level newsletter with girls.
Family, school and community engagement
- Guide and hand hold Social Mobilizers to conduct parents’ workshop and parents meeting as planned
- Identify local needs of the community and explore and ideate with SMs and POs regarding probable parents meeting topics.
- Regular meeting and providing program update to school staff including head teachers and creating playing the role of a catalyst promoting the school to think of Girls’ education and solutions to problems affecting girls in the catchment area of the school with support from SM.
- Lead 4 school engagement meeting each year (as per module)
- Develop and update list of scholarship schemes and entitlements with parents in an accessible format
- Guide SMs to conduct all meeting with community level stakeholders such as SMC, VLCPC etc.
- Maintain a database of all the schemes and benefits our girl’s scholars are getting and facilitating all girls to get the same
- Lead all community campaigns in respective schools with support from SMs.
- Lead the targeted material support need assessment process
- Cross verification of the girls proposed for material support
- Collate data and share further to PO
- Will be responsible for the programmatic part of the procurement process such as raising PR for approval of PO and State Manager, inter-departmental follow ups and oversee distribution.
Liaising, networking and building linkages at the field, block and district level
- Networking and liaison with all block and/ or district level government departments and officials
- Networking and liaison with all village/ ward level stakeholders Plan and organize trainings and meetings for government officials (block and district level)
- Building linkages with like-minded organisations for referral services for girls after discussing with Program Officer
- Create linkages with school management committees, child protection committees and any other as required to create safety nets for girls and conduct regular meetings with them
- Develop a linkage with school authorities and communities to ensure support to the program – liase for a GEP room dedicated for life skills classes and mentoring, adequate periods are allocated during school timings for sessions and manage any other operational challenges.
- Exploring and ensuring girls have access to State level scholarships and can also avail citizenship entitlements
- Support Program Officer for creating visibility of GEP in District and State level
Ensuring Quality program at the field level
- Conduct discussions on Program Quality with SM during review meeting jointly with PO
- Share learnings from INCO level review meetings
- Understand and work on factors that may impede quality and fidelity on the field
- Tracks to see if quality standards are being met and provide updates to PO
- Use LS observations form and basis this provides feedback to Social Mobilizers and develop coaching plan for each SM.
- Analyzes the availability of materials for LS session, mentoring and material support and provides corrective feedback to program Assistant as needed
- Innovate and ideate on various ways to reach out to girls, school and community remotely.
Planning, Reporting and Documentation
- Ensure the SM is monitoring and keeping records of girls including attendance, academic performance and other program activities as required per the program design.
- Ensure the SM is planning, documenting, and reporting on school and home visits and parent meetings and workshops.
- Manage program expenses and complete financial reporting as per RTRs accounting and finance policies. Direct and guide Program Admin Assistant appropriately to ensure data as required by HR and Accounts is provided in time
- Document best practices, case studies, photos and lessons learned and share with the GEP Team.
- Track drop outs of girls and understand reasons, flag issues of concern to PO
Annual planning and budgeting
- Participate in the annual planning and budgeting process
- Ensure budget forecasting for the month and submit bills timely with support of the program Assistant (Admin)
- Assist Program Officer for new geographies and school selection
- Oversee all the work related to the Program Admin Assistant
- Provide adequate direction to ensure smooth functioning of the field teams
- Any other task as allocated by line manager
- Be a part of Country office content development initiatives as and when required.
- Master’s degree in Education/ Social Work/ development/Gender Studies.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in areas of girls education, gender and life skills
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Basic computer skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills including the ability to monitor progress of program implementation.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative.
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people.
- Prior experience in facilitation and/or training.
- Experience working with and or counselling adolescent girls.
- Fluency in Hindi/ state specific language and English.
- Familiarity or experience with gender issues, girls’ education and/or community development preferred.
- Prior experience of living and/ working in semi urban and/or urban communities and an understanding of the government school systems.
- Prior experience of working closely with the community, school teachers and government officials
- Experience in team handling and supervision
- English fluency preferred.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd