Organization: World Agroforestry (ICRAF)
Apply By: 25 Oct 2020
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization:
The World Agroforestry (ICRAF) is a non-profit global research organization that generates science-based knowledge about the diverse and important roles that trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. The Centre’s headquarters are in Nairobi, Kenya, and it conducts research in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. ICRAF is a member of the Consortium of 15 independent agricultural research centres of CGIAR.
Position: Senior Consultant (PhD) – One
Biochar application is emerging as a carbon negative technology to improve soil health, and support food, nutrition, water, climate, and health security. Sustainable and round the year availability of diverse feedstock is the biggest limiting factor in the production and use of biochar. A huge scope exists to use otherwise burned crop residues in the production of biochar. Therefore, a solution to sustainable and round the year availability of feedstock could be to use diverse raw material obtained from local agroforestry systems. With funding from GIZ, SARP is initiating a pilot project on developing a scalable approach to the production, processing and use of biochar, and developing the associated linkages between biochar producers and other value chain actors.
Objective: Assess the potential for biochar (production and application) and identify and prepare corresponding interventions in the target are (inception phase, module 1).
- Ph.D. degree in branches of agriculture, forestry and in relevant fields
- 5-10 Years of working experience preferably with a CG center/ UN agency or international research for development organizations; work experience in agriculture and/or forestry related projects; preference for experience in biochar research and development; policy, technology, literature and research analysis; project /study planning and identification of best practices.
- Working independently or with least supervision and experienced in planning and implementations of agriculture related research for development projects; very good command of English and experience of scientific analysis of literature and report writing as evidenced by published work/ project reports etc.
Terms of Reference:
He/she will work almost independently with minimum supervision on the following ToRs:
- Assessment of current production levels of biochar, areas and extent of use, and potential of biochar in India and in Odisha. Analysis of available information to understand the current situation, future-prospects and identify bottle necks in biochar production, area and use.
- Assessment of existing technologies for biochar production in India for their strengths and weakness, in terms of feedstock, carbon sequestration, energy replicability, design, economic viability etc. at farmer, community, and commercial scales, and identify the bottle necks with respect to target sites.
- Any other relevant aspects identified during the study period
1. Analysed reports on biochar potential and production methods on:
- Documentation for awareness creation and synergy with government schemes on extent, demand, and challenges in production
- Use of biochar in India and in Odisha
- Documented status of biochar potential in Odisha and in India
2. Analysed report on strengths and weakness, in terms of feedstock, carbon sequestration, energy replicability, design, economic viability etc. for:
- Current practices and processes for production
- Available equipment for individual, community, and small and medium scale industries
- Economic viability of best technologies assessed and ranked
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd