Social & Behavioral Sciences (SBS) Specialist
Organization: RTI International India
Apply By: 19 Dec 2020
About the Organization:
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Their vision is to address the world's most critical problems with science-based solutions in pursuit of a better future. They believe in the promise of science, and they push themselves every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world.
Position: Social & Behavioral Sciences (SBS) Specialist
- Substantial gains in the National Malaria Program made over the past several years are threatened by the COVID-19 Pandemic
- The NVBDCP is currently seeking a SBS specialist to support the National Malaria Programme in sustaining India’s progress and achieving malaria elimination
- The SBS specialist will allow for improved delivery and acceptance of Malaria programme and interventions, especially in high endemic areas, by devising community engagement strategies tailored to the local context (taking into account the influence of COVID-19 on community behaviors towards the uptake of malaria services) to inform the implementation of Social and Behavioral Change (SBC) section of National Malaria
- Strategic Plan
- Leverage community-based approaches to inform the SBC aspect of malaria particularly in high endemic areas.
- Support development/review of malaria SBC strategy and implementation plan at state/district level especially in high endemic areas and hard-to-reach populations such as tribal and rural.
- Identify challenges related to implementation of current SBC section of National Malaria Strategic Plan and develop locally tailored potential solutions and strategies.
- Develop social intervention strategies to improve community engagement and uptake of malaria services.
- Work effectively with various stakeholders at the state/district malaria program and community level including program managers, ASHA, Anganwadi workers, community volunteers, community leaders.
- Develop detailed monitoring and evaluation mechanism for community SBC at state and district level.
- Developing capacity building strategy/ material/ package for community level stakeholders including ASHA, Anganwadi workers and community volunteers to improve community communications and engagement.
- Developing targeted behaviour change and communication strategies for vulnerable groups (migrants, tribal/remote areas etc.).
- Support documentation of best practices in SBC.
- Other tasks as deemed necessary by NVBDCP Director.
Minimum Required Education & Experience:
- Advanced University Degree in Social work or Behavioural sciences. Additional Public health qualification would be an added advantage.
- Understanding of social and behavioral determinants of health, anthropological and socioepidemiological methods, community health, and public health communication.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of professional work experience at national and/ or state level, related to developing/implementing community mobilization, health awareness, and behaviour change communication programs in public health.
- Experience of working on SBS interventions (e.g. effective communication, behaviour change) for malaria or other infectious diseases in India is desirable.
Skills & Abilities:
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of public health communication models.
- Experience in designing effective community engagement intervention.
- Capacity building/behaviour change communication training experience in working with various community level stakeholders.
- Experience of working in a government setup and varied cultural environment, including but not limited to tribal and rural areas in India.
- Good analytics and organizational skills along with inter-personal and communication skills.
- Spoken and written fluency in Hindi and English.
- Experience of working on Covid-19 in India.
Duration: 1 Year Contract with possibility for renewal subject to availability of funding and performance
Location: New Delhi (Directorate of National Vector Borne Disease Control Programme) with up to 50% travel to Priority States/districts as directed by the NVBDCP Director
Email Id: IndiaHR@rti.org
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd