Specialist Agriculture Research & Development (Plant Protection)
Organization: International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)
Apply By: 04 Aug 2020
About the Organization:
International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government.
Position: Specialist Agriculture Research & Development (Plant Protection)
Assam Agri-business and Rural Transformation Project (APART) aims to improve food and livelihood security of poor and marginal farmers, including women and youth in Assam by providing and increasing access to up-to-date and timely knowledge and technologies, and empowering the farmers for effective decision making, thereby closing yield gaps and increasing farmers’ income, and the sustainability of rice-based systems.
Under the general supervision of Senior Associate Scientist II & Resident Coordinator, the incumbent will support with implementation and monitoring of field activities, integrated pest and disease management in crops under different project objectives and provide technical expertise in maintaining sustainable plant production and protection system in the state. S/he will manage collection and analysis of field data and evaluate the rice pest and disease diagnostics activities in collaboration with key stakeholders. S/he will assist in developing the content for training materials, learning guides, and rice production recommendations for the Rice Knowledge Bank. This position will be based in Assam, India, and only be filled in by existing IRRI Staff.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop plans and manage implementation, monitoring & evaluation of field activities to ensure delivery of defined objectives
- Develop and implement appropriate strategies for management and control of pests and diseases
- Manage Collection and compilation of data from the implementing partners to synthesize the results and interpret the research findings into result based on the defined objectives for preparing the reports
- Create content on diagnostics results of crop health problems, preventive solution and recommendations to develop training materials and update RKB for Assam
- Provide timely recommendations to new processes and/or improvement(s) to secure efficient performance with respect to operational manuals and review standard operating procedures (SOP).
- Represent the specific project's component at various platforms including regular monitoring meetings with the other partners.
- Collaborate with internal/external key research partner(s) including government agencies and universities, local NGOs, local farmer groups, farmer producer organizations (FPOs) and other public-private organizations to create best suitable management pathway(s)
- Build and sustain strong engagement with project teams, local government unit, implementing partners and farmer groups to ensure smooth execution of field activities and work plan
- Apprise government partners on the progress of the project activities through timely submission of scientific reports, field updates, presentations, etc.
- Establish coordination with project teams and implementing partners to manage the field activities and ensure quality standard
- Diagnose nature, cause, and severity of all pests and diseases including viral, fungal or bacterial in field/rice crop and recommend economic control measures
- Conduct study to determine the losses caused by pest/disease infestation and develop practices to prevent or reduce losses
- Recommend interventions to resolve appearing difficulties such as mid-term corrections, technical errors and other complex issues that affect the successful completion of the objective
- Deliver timely research reports for the consumption of the stakeholders
- Oversee the implementation of activities, data management to guarantee quality data, data back up and data integrity
- Review existing course of actions, develop a work plan, set milestones and supervise the implementation of research activities
- Prepare and assure the quality of project reports and literature for presentation at policy and academic forums and publication of progress reports and impact reviews.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture/Horticulture, Development Communication or related agriculture discipline with 5 years of relevant work experience in development or
- Master’s degree in Plant Pathology, Agronomy, Development Communication, or related agriculture discipline with 3 years of relevant work experience in development or related field.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Good computer skills (MS Office: Word and Excel)
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team as an important player and take initiatives
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and has strong skills in planning and problem-solving
- Experience of doing research on the internet and extracting synthesizing information and data
- Experience in public/ government service at the national level
- Experience of interpreting data, research findings and preparing reports
- experience of working in an international work environment
Salary: 35700 - 74300 INR per month
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd