Sr. Manager – Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Organization: Magic Bus India Foundation
Apply By: 31 Jan 2021
Purpose of the position
This position, along with the Project Head and Impact Director, will play a key role to inform and guide Government Engagements and Assessment studies undertaken under the Life skills Collaborative. The Assessment Manager will take the lead for managing the assessment process within the state having specific responsibility for external and internal quality assurance activities; playing a key role in moderation, standardization and internal verification of assessments, ensuring all activities are carried out to the high quality expected by key stakeholders.
Life Skill Collaborative
Magic Bus is participating in a life skills collaborative anchored by Sattva and supported by Echidna Giving, MSDF, Porticus, Omidyar Network in India, and CIFF. The purpose of the collaborative is to identify a common glossary of life skills, building assessment frameworks and tools meant for Indian school context, and working with state governments to test and implement assessments at scale. As part of the initiative, Magic Bus has been chosen for working in the state of Mizoram for collecting voices from ground and conducting large scale life skills assessments in partnership with the state government from 2020 to 2023. This initiative complements our plan of transferring the SCALE life skills programme to state governments, assessments being a key review mechanism from state departments of education.
Building an effective assessment will be a critical area of focus for the Life Skills Collaborative. The assessments will be built on the foundation of the glossary and at the level of the child, teacher and system.
Assessment implementation partner Magic Bus will enable engagement with the state government to provide access to districts. Work with district level stakeholders towards implementation of assessments. Support potential scale up across the state. Participate in design of Assessment tools & methodology. Support in testing tools on the ground. Validate contextualization of tools to specific locations.
Assessment Implementation approach
- Define focus area and consolidate existing assessments
- Agree on the principles and boundary conditions for the Assessments
- Agree on the key impact outcomes (for the child/teacher/systems) that Assessments will focus on
- Identify and finalize the target number of districts/Schools/Teachers/Adolescents etc. within the state
- Consolidate existing assessments from India and Globally
- Conduct a literature review on the existing assessment tools
- Adapt and pilot assessments in select districts
- Align on the key impact outcomes (for the child/teacher/systems) with the district and state officials
- Build assessments for select outcomes by leveraging existing tools and measures
- Contextualize and pilot the assessments on the ground to test for validity and reliability
- Synthesize results and engage practitioners and state governments
- Monitor the standards of all external assurers, ensuring accuracy and consistency throughout.
- Work with Program Manger to assure the quality of assessment test design including continuous improvement of test instruments to meet the standards
- Ensure that accurate data is maintained in the to inform management reports.
- Be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of all learners with whom you come into contact with and adhere to Magic Bus policy.
- Engage government to scale assessments across the state
- Present district level assessment results
- Align with the state government officials and Principal Secretary to run assessments across the state
- If required, align on the select skills and priorities of the state government
- Agree on the operational plan for data collection with the Government
- Maintain strong and effective relationships with state government and other stakeholders.
- Implement state-wide assessments at scale in collaboration with the government
- Implement the assessments in state
- Work with the Data, Analytics and Reporting Team to ensure that systems and data processes remain in line with program
- Synthesize the results of the assessment
- Present the results to the government to enable decision making
- Disseminate the assessments and the results
- Make the assessments and assessment methodologies public with permission from the state and practitioners
- Conduct workshops with the practitioners
- Share the results of the assessments and assessment approaches
- Review of existing assessments and tools used by the government coordinate with SCERT and other government MIS/Assessment focal point;
- Coordinate and enable hiring of appropriate research agency; facilitate validation and pre testing of tools; coordinate with districts and to align with glossary building and voices from ground rollout plan
- Coordinate with the Project Head in preparing M&E Plans, capacity-building plans, MIS and monitoring of the programme.
- Coordinate with the research team in completion of validation of tools and assessments in selected districts of the state
- Work closely with the government officials in preparation of delivery design for the assessment to be implemented across all districts of the state by the state government
- Participate in consultation meetings with government to present district level results and to own implementation of LSC tools across the state
- Conduct and or facilitate in completion of execution of voices from the ground across different programme
- Coordination in evaluation designing, providing of technical inputs for conducting assessments as well as for monitoring tools and strategies to ensure project implementation.
- Conduct policy research related to government approach towards implementation of life skills and its assessment in the state.
- Conduct monitoring activities and check the quality of all data for completeness, consistency, correctness and authenticity of data and make amendments as required
- Resolving issues pertaining to technical and functional aspects of MIS and ensuring timely and quality of data being collected
- Deliver high productivity and quality data in presentable mode by developing and running validation checks, integrity checks, resolving data discrepancies
- Develop plan for data collection procedure/ guidelines and provide feedback to all staff involved in data collection on the quality of data.
- Conduct trainings and capacity building of the research team and government teachers on the life skill assessment tool for data collection
- Conduct process evaluation to understand the progress/outcome of the project and conduct data collation of field data on prescribed format as per project requirement
- Extract and update secondary information from different sources like NFHS, DLHS, and Census etc. and maintain separate database.
- Provide inputs and or prepare monthly, quarterly, annual project progress, narrative, evaluation and other analytical reports for different programme/projects.
- To carry out other tasks as required by the immediate manager and Impact team
- Remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues and attending training courses as required by the Magic Bus team
Qualification & Experience:
- Post Graduate Degree in Social Science/ Biostatistics/ Psychology or other relevant degree is a preferred with proven track record in M&E, minimum 5 – 6 years of experience in robust monitoring and evaluation experience including experience with development of tools, rolling out surveys and in a NGO/INGO/Organization involved in social research/ Academic Institutions will be advantage.
- Experience of working in rural/social development projects in the state of Mizoram. Experience of work with the government is desirable
- Experience of working with state/ central government, school systems, etc. will be preferred, along with reasonable familiarity with life skills education
- Excellent data management & analysis skills with great command In Microsoft Excel, Word etc.
- Be able to work with a variety of information systems and data files, including large and complex files, transforming raw data into finished products.
- Adapting and using technology for M&E activities for collecting, reviewing, analyzing and presenting data
- Basic Understanding of research methods & techniques (quantitative/qualitative) and protocols.
- Self-motivated, disciplined individual who can perform at a high level in a fast - paced environment.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent English communication skills both verbal and written and be able to articulate thoughts, observations and recommendations in clear manner, along with command over Mizo language
Please share your updated CV with Cover Letter in firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention your current & expected CTC
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd