State Coordinator, Program Operations
Organization: Room to Read
Apply By: 22 Feb 2022
Position: State Coordinator, Program Operations
Location: Ranchi, Jharkhand
Room to Read India was established in 2003 and presently have programs in 9 states- Chhattisgarh, Delhi NCR, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Telangana, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh. Our Literacy Program has been implemented in 15642 government schools, training 25,741 teachers trained in library management and reading activities. Over the same period our Girls’ Education & Gender Equality Program has benefitted over 62,457 girls. Room to Read India has worked in Telangana since 2008 and till now we have 2,256 Girls' Education and 636 Literacy Program Schools
Room to Read is a global organization transforming the lives of millions of children in low-income communities by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Founded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children®, our innovative model focuses on deep, systemic transformation within schools during two time periods that are most critical in a child’s schooling: early primary school for literacy acquisition and secondary school for girls’ education. We work in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations, and governments to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and ensure girls can complete secondary school with the skills necessary to negotiate key life decisions. By focusing on the quality of education provided within the communities and ensuring these outcomes are measured, we have created a model that can be replicated, localized and sustained by governments. With its, global headquarters in San Fransisco, Room to Read has benefited 18 million children across over 30,000 communities in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Grenada, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Rwanda, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia. Room to Read India has received several awards and recognition over the years including recognition as one of the top ten NGOs to work for during the past six years by the Great Places to Work Institute.
The State Coordinator/ State Head is responsible for Room to Read’s operations in a geographic area, a state in this case. The State Coordinator/ State Head is primarily responsible for ensuring the timely and effective implementation of programs at the field office, including strategizing scale-up, engagement with the government, spending, hiring, local procurement, inventory management, distribution and logistical support. The position is required to take initiative for project management, improving work approaches, partnerships, selection of projects sites, and ensuring adequate staff to work at the field level. S/he will work to strengthen coordination and collaboration within teams and across all CO program teams, maintaining and ensuring constructive communication, building team morale within individual teams and contributing to a positive working environment. S/he will report to the Sr. Manager, Program Operations and will have various positions reporting to him/her. The State Coordinator/ State head directly manages the Literacy Program Officer, Gender Equality Girls’ Education Program (“GEGEP”) Program Officer and Admin & Finance personnel.
Roles and Responsibilities
System strengthening and system integration as part of larger scale-up efforts
- Working closely with State officials in ensuring government system strengthening and institutionalization of RtR programs in the state
- Preparation of overall strategic plan, basis local context and RtR Vision plan 2025 for the respective state and continuously reviewing the same.
- Organizing various discussions/consultations with Government to work towards system strengthening.
- Building body of evidence that can push appropriate policy/practice changes backed by robust evidence.
- Support INCO Op’s in proposal development and country growth plan as needed.
External Coordination, branding and Networking
- Attends to donor affairs including hosting donor and project site visits in collaboration with programs staff.
- Develop and lead media advocacy plan for the state.
- Assist RtR communication team in promotion of RtR programs through active media liasioning in state in accordance with the strategy, policies and guidelines of RtR.
- Scanning of education landscape in the state and positioning RtR as a thought leader through strategic management.
- Take lead in dissemination of program results, sharing program report to government and other agencies in suggestions with OPS team.
- Meets regularly with local government representatives, NGO partners, school administrators and parent groups to represent RtR.
- Promotes and protects the reputation of Room to Read in external settings, ensuring that the organization’s experience and expertise is well communicated and consistently presented, and that we are looked upon as a professional Education organization.
Management and Coordination
- Ensures efficient and effective coordination across all elements of the Literacy Program and Girls’ Education Program in his/her region.
- Supervises and oversees the work of the field staff and is responsible for optimizing their productivity through effective management and leadership techniques (i.e., coaching/advising).
- Ensures staff are consistently complying and adhering to policies, procedures and guidelines articulated in the CO handbooks, and facilitates the dissemination of information to all staff members to promote transparency.
- Supports staff through consultation with CO-level technical team to regularly assess staff capacity building needs.
- Ensures the performance management process is well-planned and conducted in a timely for all field staff. This includes setting performance goals, conducting progress check-ins, providing feedback, conducting year-end appraisals, and making recommendations for staff development and career advancement.
- Collaborates with Human Resources to handle recruitment and training of staff according to need.
- Leads and facilitates field staff in bi-weekly or monthly meetings to review progress against plans, find solutions to problems, share lessons learned, exchange expertise across programs, and to motivate and encourage teamwork.
- Ensures that field-staff are aware of and understand the programs’ goals and objectives, working approaches and methodology, and have all necessary information related to annual plans, targets, and implementation calendars.
- Conducts regular field visits to monitor and verify the programs’ progress and impact, understand the challenges and needs of stakeholders (e.g., RtR staff, Social Mobilizers, Field Facilitators, communities, children, etc...), and suggest appropriate solutions.
- Develop and implement plans for on-line material development in consultation with Country office as per the state specific context.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Sr. Manager – Operations, Director and Country Management Team.
- Supervises fund disbursement, reviews and approves the field monthly and quarterly financial expenses in accordance with financial and purchasing policy and procedures.
- Timely submission of Cash forecast, booking of monthly bills and variance tracker
- Monthly tracking of all expense vis-à-vis the budgets and flagging any deviations to concerned person.
- Coordinates the timely completion of annual planning and budgeting.
- Ensuring full utilisation of respective budgets as per the Financial guidelines.
- Co-ordinate and answer any audit queries for the state.
Reporting and Documentation
- Develops high quality quarterly report for distributing to partners, if applicable.
- Prepares high quality monthly and quarterly donor programmatic reports, coordinate with
concerned Program, Finance and OP’s department in INCO for finalizing and sharing the report
- Ensuring high level of data quality for all reporting purposes.
- Preparation of appropriate case studies for submission to donors/communication team
Percentages of work of State Coordinator
Qualification & Experience
- Master’s in Management /education /Social Work or equivalent
- Minimum 10 years of relevant & progressive experience and 2+ years of management experience is required
- Demonstrated ability of strategic management
- Prior experience of working with state government at scale
- Awareness about issues in the domain of Literacy and Girls education
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience of leading diversified team
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic non-profit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker – not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a solution-oriented approach
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read has zero tolerance when it comes to child abuse and exploitation and believes that all children have equal rights to protection. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to the child protection policy, code of conduct and standards and will undergo rigorous reference and background check through third party. Background check will include the verification of employment history and criminal check. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check
Room to Read offers a competitive pay with excellent benefits. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries on literacy and gender equality in education.
Please CLICK HERE to apply for this position.
Due to the high volume of applicant response, not all applicants may receive a response from Room to Read. Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd