State Newborn Care Consultant
Organization: International Development Agency (IDA)
Apply By: 24 Feb 2020
1. Position(S) Vacant: State Newborn Care Consultant, International Development Agency, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
2. Organization Background:
Our client is a respected, International Development Agency (IDA), that works across the globe to promote children's survival, protection and development.
Odisha has high maternal and under five mortality burden and despite consistent progress the decline has been slow. More than 70% of the under-five mortality is contributed by neonatal mortality which stands at 32/1000 (SRS 2017) live births along with significant inter and intra district variations. The Neonatal Mortality has remained stagnant in the year 2016 and 2017 and Odisha stands at the second highest in the national level. The still birth rate has also increased to 12 per 1000 live and still births. It is estimated that approximately 46% maternal deaths, over 40% stillbirths and 40% new-born deaths take place on the day of the delivery. With all 30 districts covered with 40 functional Special Newborn Care Units (SNCUs) and Labour room and OT quality being upgraded with certifications, now the quality of community and facility-based interventions will bring in the next leap in neonatal mortality reduction. Quality of perinatal care, especially in the tribal districts in the southern part of the state is a major challenge. 27% of perinatal asphyxia cases; 20% of sepsis cases admitted in SNCUs; and only 35% community follow-up of SNCU discharged babies in these districts due to poor social determinates and low quality of care. Around 5% neonates left SNCU against medical advice, and mortality of 10% (range 8% to 19%) indicate challenges of quality of Newborn care. Considering this situation, state government had operationalized a strategy (SAMMpuRNA) for accelerated reduction of maternal and infant mortality by 2020 focusing on 15 High Priority Districts (HPDs). Now the state is well placed to ascend the focus on ‘Survive and Thrive’ for every child. There is an opportunity to strengthen the linkages between SNCUs and District Early Intervention Centers (DEICs) of the RBSK Program, Nutritional Rehabilitation Centers (NRCs); and special Village Health & Nutrition Days (VHND)+RI days. The new MCP card offers an opportunity to strengthen health systems capacity for Early Childhood Development (ECD) activities through HBYC and prevention and management of pre-term and Low Birth Weight (LBW) babies.
With support from the IDA, Centre of Excellence (CoE), for Child Health and Nutrition has been operationalized at Capital Hospital in Bhubaneswar. The CoE will function as the mentoring hub of Intrapartum care and facility level postpartum care including the developmental monitoring and other major child health programs. A Regional Resource Centre (RRC) for Child Health has been operationalized at Sahid Laxman Nayak Medical College and Hospital (SLNMCH), Koraput. Partnership with AIIMS Bhubaneshwar and New-Delhi is being strengthened for Quality of Perinatal Care and Maternal and Child Health programs in SAMMpuRNA HPDs that are also aspirational districts.
Similarly, Home Based New-born Care and Home-based Young child is an area to focus on to reduce neonatal mortality. In order to facilitate states system strengthening efforts to achieve the flagship result of Newborn mortality reduction high level technical assistance is required.
3. Job Description/ Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Team Leader SHSRC, Odisha, the State Newborn Care Consultant shall be providing technical assistance to the state for all system strengthening and strategic interventions for achieving the flagship result of Newborn mortality reduction, mainly through strengthening of skilled birth attendance; coverage and quality of FBNC & HBNC/YC; and ECD activities through the Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram (RBSK).
- Facilitate assessment of HBNC in the 15 SAMMpuRNA districts in coordination with RRC Koraput and JHPIEGO etc.;
- Institutionalise mentoring process for strengthening FBNC/ DEICs in coordination with DFW and NHM through CoE for Child Health and Nutrition;
- Facilitate the activities of RRCs (Bolangir and Koraput) on strengthening Facility and Community based Newborn Care;
- Support in need assessment and establishing and functionalizing new SNCUs/ MNCH units in the state;
- Facilitate the training need assessment and initiating the capacity building activities;
- Support NHM/ CoE/ RRC for preparing SNCU factsheets and review meetings;
- Support development of state antibiotic policy document;
- Documentation of best practices in the state through case studies.
4. Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
Applicant must have an MBBS/ MD/ DNB in Paediatrics/ Community Medicine /PSM or Degree in Public Health/ Social Sciences/ Social Work /Health Administration/ Hospital Administration.
- Minimum three to five years’ experience of working in public health programmes;
- Experience of working with the Government / Bilateral agencies in MCH programmes;
- Experience in project planning, project implementation, coordination, policy advocacy and training.
Skills and Competencies:
- Project conceptualization, data analysis and documentation skills;
- Should be self-motivated, hard-working, energetic and creative with good analytical skills;
- Candidates with excellent presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities will be given preference;
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with data base management programme and commonly used packages like MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint, Email and Web Browsers, Internet Explorer etc. is mandatory;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are mandatory - working knowledge of Oriya / Hindi are desirable;
- Age should not be more than 50 years, could be relaxed for exceptionally good candidate;
- Should be willing to travel 6-8 days in a month
5. Estimated Travel: Approximately 12 days in a month for the achievement of the listed deliverables.
6. Nature of Engagement:
The SNCC shall be hired on a consultancy contract through Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd. (SAMS), a respected HR Agency.
Remuneration payable to the selected candidate in the form of professional fees shall be attractive and in alignment with market norms.
Applicants are required to provide details of salary history, as well as expected remuneration for the position, in the online application form.
- The above elements shall be a key input into the selection and negotiation process;
- Candidates are expected to have their own laptops and be internet connected and these items shall not be provided.
8. Location: The Consultant shall be based at Bhubaneswar, Odisha
9. Duration: The successful candidate shall be issued a consultancy contract from the date of joining till December 31, 2020.
10. Reference: SNCC-HLT-OD
11. Contact Information:
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House, Bharat Nagar
New Friends Colony, New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 2684 2162; 4165 3612
12. Application Process:
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to apply using the link https://recruitment.samshrm.com/Jobs/ida by or before February 24, 2020.
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd