About the Organization
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 194 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research in India, leads J-PAL’s work in the South Asia region. J-PAL South Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs. Over more than ten years of existence, J-PAL South Asia has conducted 193 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations.
J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute of Financial Research and Management in India, seeks a Training Manager to support its partnership with Development Monitoring and Evaluation Office (DMEO), NITI Aayog, a premier think-tank of Government of India. We are looking for a high-calibre individual who can leverage his/her knowledge, experience and passion for capacity development, learning and education for Government officers in India.
J-PAL SA is partnering with DMEO, NITI Aayog to support DMEO in building a strong M&E ecosystem in India. DMEO was established in 2015 as an attached office of NITI Aayog to monitor and evaluate policies and programmes of government of India. J-PAL SA will work closely with DMEO under this partnership to provide M&E technical assistance for the Central and State Government and other stakeholders. The Training Manager will play an important role by contributing to the partnership and will closely work with J-PAL’s Director, Senior Managers and Managers, and DMEO’s consultants, Young Professionals and other senior staff. S/he will also work with other critical government departments to understand their requirements and help them in their capacity building needs and ability to conduct high quality monitoring and evaluation.
- Work closely with DMEO to deliver on a range of tasks assigned including developing an overall Theory of Change on DMEO’s work highlighting pathways for achieving its vision and goals as well as developing Theory of Change and indicators for specific programmes/schemes, reviewing evaluation reports and provide suggestions/inputs as and when required.
- Manage relationships with all stakeholders by sharing of periodic updates through documents, presentations etc.
- Conducting periodic M&E training Needs Assessment for DMEO as well as for line ministries/ departments and developing training calendars to address these needs
- Supporting managers and senior managers in the successful implementation of training courses
- Preparing presentations, training materials, manuals and knowledge products for capacity building initiatives
- Mentoring staff members and ability to build staff capacity as and when needed
- Any other tasks as requested
The Training Manager will be responsible for stakeholder management including partnerships with Government, ensuring partner satisfaction across all stakeholders and supporting J-PAL’s high-performing staff.
- A minimum of 4 years of work experience in a high performing environment. Prior work experience with the government and experience working with primary data is highly desirable.
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy or related fields.
- Prior experience in basic statistical tools and software like Stata, R etc. is highly desirable
- Prior capacity building experience in the development sector and experience working on monitoring and evaluation preferably with governments
Skills and Competencies
- Exceptional communication skills, including writing, conversing and presenting clearly in English
- Proven ability to independently handle multiple diverse assignments simultaneously, successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines while conducting high-quality work
- Ability to work closely with multiple team members in a collaborative manner
- Experience working with complex partnerships, especially with governments, donors, and research organisations
- Strong training and facilitation skills to mentor people within the team.
- Experience working with local, national, and international technical advisers and in a diverse range of international settings.
- Self-motivated, ability to problem solve and to work with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail