Applications Invited for CERN openlab Summer Student Programme
Apply By: 31 Jan 2020
About the Organization:
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
CERN openlab Summer-Student Programme:
Each summer, CERN openlab runs a nine-week programme for bachelor’s and master’s students specialising in subjects related to computer science. These students come to CERN to work on cutting-edge projects with our collaborators, gaining hands-on experience with the latest ICT solutions.
CERN is the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The laboratory hosts ground-breaking experiments and is at the heart of the Worldwide LHC Computing Grid (WLCG). It is an environment like no other, where dizzying ICT challenges abound!
By joining the CERN openlab summer-student programme, you will work with some of the latest hardware and software technologies and see how advanced ICT solutions are used in high-energy physics. You will have the opportunity to attend a series of lectures developed for the CERN openlab summer students, given by experts on advanced CERN-related topics. Included in the programme are also visits at the CERN facilities and experiments, as well as to other research laboratories and companies.
The CERN openlab summer-student programme is much more than just a summer at CERN. It can lead to follow-on projects in your home institute. It may even inspire you to become an entrepreneur in cutting-edge computing technologies!
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) with a strong computing profile and will have completed, by the European summer 2020, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2020 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months and you have not previously been a Summer Student at CERN.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 9 weeks to work on an advanced IT project.
- An extensive IT lecture programme. Students will also be able to attend the CERN generic summer student lecture programme if they wish.
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution is already deducted from the daily allowance).
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
How to Apply:
You will need the following documents clearly labelled to complete your application (e.g. “CV”, “academic transcript”, “reference letter” etc) in PDF format to complete your application;
- A CV in either English or French,
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure there is no protection so that we can open it),
- At least one reference letter (dated less than 12 months), preferably two.
The application must be submitted here by 31 January 2020.
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
Latest Tenders And EOIs
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd