Applications invited for Drowning Prevention 2019 Reporting Fellowship
Organization: International Center for Journalists (ICFJ)
Apply By: 19 Aug 2019
About the Organization
Working at the nexus of journalism and technology, ICFJ builds the expertise and storytelling skills of reporters worldwide. They work in five key areas. They foster news innovation, build strong networks of investigative reporters, and run exchange programs to deepen understanding. They develop expertise in areas such as health and business, and promote a diversity of voices in news coverage.
According to the latest estimates from the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 320,000 people died in 2016 as a result of drowning, making it one of the deadliest public health threats in the world. In many countries drowning is the leading cause of death after one year of age, and is also frequently the leading cause of death for children between 5-14 years old. More than 90% of drowning deaths occur in low-and middle-income countries.
About the Fellowship
ICFJ will recruit 10 journalists for the Drowning Prevention 2019 Reporting Fellowship taking place in Durban, South Africa. The selected fellows will have the opportunity to deepen their understanding of drowning prevention and hone the journalism skills needed to cover this often underreported and misunderstood topic by participating in a two-day workshop ahead of the 2019 World Conference on Drowning Prevention. After the workshop, fellows will have the opportunity to attend conference sessions and to meet and interview leading global experts on drowning prevention to help inform their reporting.
During the interactive workshop, ICFJ trainers and WHO technical experts will provide an overview on different aspects of drowning prevention. Trainers will also work with fellows on strengthening the fellows’ reporting skills, using the lens of solutions journalism with a particular focus on tracking down data from different sources, creating data-driven reports, and developing visualizations to engage audiences.
The Drowning Prevention 2019 Reporting Fellowship will cover all fellowship-related costs, including travel to the conference, accommodations, emergency insurance, meals and registration.
Journalists who apply for the fellowship must be fluent in English. Priority will be given to journalists from low- or middle-income countries. Applicants will be asked to provide the following:
- An essay (no more than 500 words) detailing your motivation and goals for seeking the fellowship, including specific changes or achievements you hope to make to your work as a result of the workshop;
- At least two story ideas (300 - 500 words) for in-depth drowning prevention reporting projects that incorporates data. Applicants may focus on their own countries, and include ways to use digital tools and visualizations to engage audiences in a dialogue about drowning prevention;
- A commitment to produce at least three stories about drowning prevention total during and after the conference;
- A brief letter of support from an editor or newsroom manager endorsing the journalist’s participation in the program to demonstrate understanding of the fellowship’s value and support for publishing, posting and/or broadcasting the journalist’s coverage of the conference and story project;
- A brief biography written in the third person (up to 300 words);
- A resume or curriculum vitae;
- At least two examples of recently published stories, ideally ones related to public health, safety and development;
- Proof of a valid passport.
Selection will be based on the journalists’ professional qualifications, relevant experience such as demonstrated interest in the topic of drowning prevention and those interested in developing their data reporting skills in service of public health journalism, English-language proficiency, and endorsement by a newsroom manager.
Deadline: The deadline is August 19, 2019 at 9:00 AM Eastern Time.
How to Apply
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
Latest Tenders And EOIs
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd