Applications Invited For The Internet for Development (I4D) Grant for 2019
Organization: Information Society Innovation Fund (ISIF Asia)
Apply By: 30 May 2019
Grant Amount: 40000 USD
APNIC has been dedicated to the healthy development of the Internet in our region for over 20 years. A non-government, not-for-profit, membership-based organization, it is one of five RIRs worldwide charged with the responsible management of the critical number and addressing resources (IPv4 and IPv6) that are essential to the operation of the Internet. Serving 56 economies in the Asia Pacific that together account for more than half of the world’s population, and where most of global Internet development activity will occur in the years ahead, APNIC supports over 13,000 ISPs and other network operators, who together are building and maintaining the region’s Internet infrastructure. APNIC believes that to provide a “global, open, stable, and secure Internet that serves the entire Asia Pacific community” we must build the region’s capacity in these three key areas. The purpose of the APNIC Foundation is to support APNIC in building human and community capacity for Internet development in our region.
About The Grant:
The Information Society Innovation Fund (ISIF Asia) is a grants and awards program empowering communities in the Asia Pacific region to research, design and implement Internet-based solutions for their own needs, placing particular emphasis on the positive role the Internet has in social and economic development in the region. ISIF Asia offers support through annual competitive grants and awards processes as well as offering support for a range of capacity building opportunities for selected recipients.
The Internet for Development (I4D) Grant for 2019 will focus on Powering Internet Infrastructure. The Grant will be allocated to one project that support research and development of software and/or hardware solutions that can improve the stability and reliability of how Internet infrastructure is powered. This includes but is not limited to solar, wind, and hydraulic solutions used to provide Internet access in remote areas, during disasters, or to power other infrastructure such as IXPs, root servers, datacentres, etc. The monitoring of batteries and their consumption, energy efficiency tools, the management and administration of micro-grids will be considered for this call. Innovation and a development focus must be an integral part of the project proposal. Proposals must also include an implementation component, a realistic time-frame and a detailed budget breakdown.
Two small grants of USD 20,000 will be allocated, for a total of USD 40,000 in funding.
Proposals must be focused on one or more of the following areas:
- Technical innovation in provision of efficient, reliable power for Internet infrastructures, particularly in challenging situations such as off-grid, intermittently supplied, or disaster afflicted environments;
- Creative organizational/partnership arrangement(s) and incentives for development of alternative and renewable energy sources for use in powering Internet infrastructure;
- Creative technical and business solutions involving provision of power in tandem with Internet access, to expand connectivity to underserved areas;
- Enabling regulatory frameworks that support innovative technical and business models for power access provision.
Selection criteria :
- Innovative approach to addressing issues that that have been clearly identified and defined as part of the proposal based on Internet technologies (x5)
- Aligned with the category purpose/scope selected (x4)
- Clear benefit for the community, according to the category selected (x3)
- Potential for growth/further development (x5)
- Engagement within the community relevant to the category proposed (x2)
- Project activities support development of local capacity (x3)
- Evidence of positive impact (x3)
- Technical viability (x3)
- Grant applicants should demonstrate capacity to manage funds, conduct project activities and document outcomes effectively, within the specified budget and time limits (x1)
The Internet Operations Research Grants criteria and weights are:
- Aligned with the Research grants purpose/scope (x4)
- Clear benefit for Internet Operations (x5)
- Clear objectives and all structured methodology (x4)
- Demonstrated research capacity (x4)
- Potential for growth/further development (x2)
- Engagement within the community relevant to the research proposed (x3)
- Addressing research needs that have been clearly identified (x5)
- Relationship with other existing projects at regional/global level that can support dissemination of research outcomes and impact (x2)
- Grant applicants should demonstrate capacity to manage funds, conduct project activities and document outcomes effectively, within the specified budget and time limits (x3)
Who can Apply:
Project proposals and award nominations from Asia Pacific-based organizations will be considered. Applications from public, private sector, academia (such as universities or research and development institutions), non-profit and social enterprises are welcome to all categories. Individuals are ONLY eligible for the Internet Operations Research Grants.
Application Deadline: 30th May 2019
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
Latest Tenders And EOIs
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd