Assistant Budget and Finance Officer
Organization: World Health Organization
Apply By: 10 May 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About The Organization:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO is a member of the United Nations Development Group. Its current priorities include communicable diseases, in particular HIV/AIDS, Ebola, malaria and tuberculosis; the mitigation of the effects of non-communicable diseases such as sexual and reproductive health, development, and aging; nutrition, food security and healthy eating; occupational health; substance abuse; and driving the development of reporting, publications, and networking.
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract duration: Two years
Primary Location: India-New Delhi
Organization: SE/DAF Director - Administration & Finance
To provide accounting policy guidance and support across the SEA Region. Ensure effective financial controls exist and are properly managed through guidance and post-facto checking, as well as ex-ante certification when required. Ensure that income is managed appropriately for all sources of funding, and advise budget centres on all aspects of income and awards management. Monitor the General Ledger (GL) and Sub-ledgers (SL) and take actions where necessary to correct errors. Coordinate the monthly and annual financial closure processes at country and regional level. Monitor and follow-up audit recommendations in the Region.
- Reporting to the Budget and Finance Officer (BFO), the Assistant Budget and Finance Officer ensures the day-to-day management of the Budget and Finance teams within Budget and Finance Unit (BFU),. The specific duties include the following :
- Manages three teams i.e. Accounting and Treasury; Financial Compliance and Country Support; and Staff Health Insurance (SHI), plans and organizes work, identifies priorities and provides close day to day supervision and dialogue opportunities.
- Ensures the integrity of the General Ledger; the reconciliation and clearance of SEARO GL accounts; manages SEAR Trial Balance, monthly, annual and biennial closures; carry out general ledger analysis and do related follow ups ensuring qualitatively high integrity of the GL and SL balances.
- Ensures that all payments made at SEARO are effected correctly, timely and recorded accurately, bank and cash balances are within the ceilings and reconciled on a timely basis.
- Collaborate with PPC for biennial budget development process, identifying and reporting funding/budgeting problems.
- Collaborate with Budget Centres and Planning Unit for HR Plan management including ensuring that positions are accurately mapped in GSM, review and advise on budget ceilings, perform budgets analysis under HR plans and advise funding shortfalls/savings.
- Ensures effective Award Management for SEAR awards including submission of financial implementation reports, reviewing and analyzing financial implementation reports to identify gaps and coordinating with Budget Centres.
- Preparation of briefings for high level meetings and provide inputs for any related meeting documents.
- Ensures that SHI claims are processed on a timely basis and in line with SHI rules and regulations, provide assistance to BFO for submissions to the SHI Global Standing Committee meetings, provide guidance on SHI matters.
- Supervises and report on the findings of the post-facto financial compliance checking work; establishes routine for carrying out the compliance work; suggests and implements improvements to the procedures, ensures all relevant business areas are checked on a rolling basis during the biennium. Performs analysis on the findings of the team and submits reports regularly to the BFO based on the analysis for further reporting to the executive management; assists BFO in the preparation of presentations and briefings for high level meetings.
- Assists BFO on audit, financial compliance issues, Regional Review missions and analyzing the results across different mission reports to improve financial compliance in all areas of the SEA Region.
- Acts as focal point for the SEAR eImprest accounts and maintains an effective relationship with the SEAR country offices on all financial issues as well as global finance (FNM) at HQ, and the GSC.
- Proposes alternative methods and approaches to streamline and improve processes; provide advice on policies and procedures.
- Coordinates in close collaboration with Staff Development and Learning (SDL) unit, and delivers training on Budget, finance and accounting issues, including and specifically financial compliance to staff, BFU essential trainings for Country Offices and SEARO staff.
- Supports BFO in financial analysis and preparing briefings and working papers for statutory meetings like Regional Committee (RC), Sub-Committee on Policy and Programme Development and Management (SPPDM), Meeting of WHO Representatives with Regional Director (WRs meeting), etc.
- Acts for the BFO in his/ her absence and assists him/her in managing the BFU unit as and when necessary.
- Any other duties, as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Essential: University degree in accounting or finance.
- Desirable: A professional accounting qualification, such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or equivalent. Training in International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) would be an advantage.
- Essential: At least five years' experience in finance including some years of international experience.
- Desirable: WHO/UN experience in accounting using ERP systems.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in finance, accounting management and reporting, with the ability to analyze data and recommend appropriate actions and to prepare reporting documents
- Knowledge of principles and practices of accounting and financial management
- Excellent understanding of financial principles and financial rules and regulations, ability to interpret policy and apply correctly
- Other Skills (e.g. IT): Proficient in MS Office Software applications, data analysis and technical presentations.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd