Apply By: 20 Oct 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization:
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. They advocate for change and connect countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for them. They provide expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. They promote technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Position: Communications Specialist
Job ID: 26418
Under the overall supervision of Resident Representative, the Communications Specialist leads the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UNDP with partners, the media and the public to promote public and media outreach and to mobilize political and financial support for UNDP. The Communications Specialist promotes a client-oriented approach in UNDP.
The Communications Specialist works with all UNDP India staff and in close collaboration with staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and the Regional Communications Advisor, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
The Communications Specialist supervises and leads the communications staff of the country office and has a strong regular working relationship with the Regional Communications Adviser.
The Communications Specialist also works in close collaboration with the Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP Communications Group staff (Regional Communications Adviser and HQ) and Government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach and provides substantive support to UNDP India in designing and monitoring the UNDP communication strategy, in support to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Researches, analyzes and presents inputs to the senior management on strategic communication and advocacy for the 2030 Agenda and to boost impact of programmatic activities in the India CO.
- Planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments for India CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc)
- Elaboration of the CO communications and outreach strategy based on corporate strategic priorities and UNDP External Communications Action Plan.
- Constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in programme and projects formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programmes.
- Identifies and assesses potential issues, concerns and risks related to communications and advocacy, and suggests corrective actions to the Senior Management.
- Monitors and analyzes the media in the areas related to the UNDP’s mandates and programmes in the country, as well as other issues relevant to the UNDP brand and positioning;
- Provides substantive support to the RR and programme staff on public messaging and media outreach, and assists in managing reputational risks or crises around sensitive issues;
- Assists the RR and Senior Management in projecting the UNDP’s image effectively and accurately as well as promoting transparency and accountability.
- Provides substantive support to ensure that communication performance indicators are identified, incorporated, monitored and reported.
2. Elaboration and implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan
- Elaboration and implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy.
- Identification and development of storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues.
- Coordination and management of all CO publication activities, including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and supervision of publications dissemination.
3. Plans and facilitates digital communication including UNDP web site, social media, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system
- Develops and maintains external and internal digital communications platforms such as the UNDP website, official UNDP country team social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.), Intranet and on-line collaboration platforms, etc
- Design of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff.
- Plans and facilitates the development and implementation of a digital content strategy and contributes to the development of key communications and advocacy products (e.g. human-interest stories, multilingual and multimedia content, etc.).
- Supervision and preparation of the content for the web sites and social media platforms ensuring consistency of the materials.
- Conducts exercises exploring the applicability of new and emerging tools and techniques to digital communications and advocacy activities to reach a wider, younger audience.
- Monitor and evaluate the dissemination of advocacy and communication material to target audiences and impact of the same.
4. Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
Launches and campaigns
- Promotional activities to position UNDP as a leader within the development space.
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on SDGs and priorities; and UNDP results
- Promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publication.
- Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s work in the country or practice area through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to national public and, where possible, donors.
- Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Forging of a “one UN” image through publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes, and common services. Organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc)
- Preparation of donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials
5. Effective management of the Communication Office and supervision of the Communications team
- Effective people management.
- Ensure effective and smooth functioning of the communications including procurement and finance
6. Facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information.
- Provides advice and support to UNDP inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD and other documents
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on internal and external communications.
Required Skills and Experience:
Education: Master's degree in media relations, journalism, publishing
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and national language of the duty station. Other official language of the UN will be desirable.
Duty Station: New Delhi, India
Vacancy End Date: 20/10/2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd