Community Engagement Specialist
Organization: Urban Management Centre
Apply By: 01 May 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization:
UMC started as ICMA’s project office in South Asia in 1997 and was registered as an independent organization in 2005. UMC is an affiliate partner of ICMA (International City/County Management Association).UMC provides technical assistance and support to city governments and facilitate change through peer-to-peer learning processes. With their understanding of adult learning pedagogies, capacity building and training, we work towards building individual and systemic capacities of cities.
Community Engagement Specialist based in New Delhi and as part of a Technical Support Unit to the National Urban Livelihood Mission (NULM) India. The position will report to the Team Leader and provide support to the team and would be responsible for achieving the program’s expected results, specifically in building a robust community engagement model and hand-hold select states and cities to implement it. The specialist will coordinate community engagement activities with the MoHUA, the project donors, other relevant ministries of the GoI and other stakeholders engaged in livelihood and sanitation sectors.
The specialist will prepare community engagement strategy, its guidelines (revisions in existing guidelines wherever applicable), action plan for its roll-out in states, toolkits for state missions and a robust framework for monitoring its implementation and evaluation of its impact. The position shall demonstrate skills in managing client interface for his/ her component and ability to work in collaboration with other team members
- The specialist will consider participatory approaches and methodologies that generate interest and activate prolonged stakeholder engagement in the NULM. This would include areas of learning, community building, iterative development, reflection and review, creative thinking and surfacing, as well as supporting innovations, creation of micro-content to capture knowledge and assist learning.
- The specialist will detail types of engagement approaches that would be suitable for NULM such as focused group discussion and community sensitization and engagement, and in what contexts they work best taking into consideration the risks and vulnerabilities.
- The specialist will recommend ways to address barriers in increased access to NULM provisions, issues faced by beneficiaries with banks and micro-finance institutions, challenges with municipal interface of the beneficiaries and sustainability issues faced by resource organisations/ SHGs/ CBOs/ NGOs/ others.
- Review current approaches, tools and methods used for community engagement by organisations working in NULM and especially in their role in sanitation service delivery and sanitation-based livelihoods.
- Work with state and city teams in Odisha and Telengana to ensure community led sanitation improvement programs, strengthen community engagement with respective urban local bodies and foster sustainable sanitation livelihoods.
- Develop manuals and implementation guidelines for state and city mission counterparts. Adapt the previously developed tools, approaches and strategies to suit current context.
- Assist the Capacity Building Specialist to develop training programs, modules and material on community engagement.
- Coordinate component specific inputs and expertise from the client, donors, home office (UMC head office) and partners in a collaborative fashion.
- Identify the capacity building needs of the national, state and city level government stakeholders on community engagement.
- Assess and document existing capacity gaps of resource organisations, SHGs and CBOs and supporting the communities in identifying sustainable community engagement.
- Assist in mobilization of resources required for implementing recommended options. Build relationships and engage private sector to make contributions to support community engagement.
- Draw upon technical guidance from international best practices, national/ state/ local plans.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Community Development. International Development or related field
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience after postgraduate qualifications
- Minimum of 2 years working experience in a ministry of national government will be an added advantage
- Past experience in participatory appraisal methods in urban settings, preferably in livelihoods, water, sanitation or housing is a must
- Strong expertise in community engagement, livelihood and capacity development of government officials
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with the staff of government institutions and community
- Displays sensitivity and inclusiveness for all cultures, gender, religions, race, nationalities and ages
- Excellent coordination skills and result oriented collaboration with colleagues
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) in English and Hindi. Knowledge of additional languages would be an asset
- Computer proficiency, especially related to professional office software packages (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize relevant collected data and findings for the preparation of case studies and progress reports
- Willingness to travel within India and outside India on need basis
Interested candidates should send an email with subject “application for (name of position applying for)” to email@example.com along with their CV, and references of 3 persons.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd