Apply By: 18 Oct 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization:
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. They advocate for change and connect countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for them. They provide expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. They promote technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Position: Gender Officer
Job ID: 26393
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Gender Officer advises Senior Management on gender policies and trends and relevant linkages to UNDP programmes.
The Gender Officer provides analysis for formulation of strategies and briefings to Senior Management. This includes building the working with Team Leaders of substantive programme teams to develop an effective gender strategy, ensuring that gender becomes a cross cutting consideration in all programme activities, and exploring the viability of gender budgeting in the programme country.
The Gender Officer is expected to focus on improvements of the organizational culture of UNDP in India to ensure gender equality as an integral part of day to day office functions. S/he will follow and implement the gender strategy as well as integrate gender issues into all programmatic content. S/he will be responsible for developing a gender related portfolio as well as mainstreaming gender across all business functions.
S/he will lead in UNDP’s representation at gender-related events and be the focal point for related initiatives. The Gender Officer works in close collaboration with programme/project teams, management support unit, Communication and Advocacy Team, Programme and Operations teams, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP Regional and HQ staff to advance gender equality goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides advice and support to UNDP management, programmes and projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of gender issues and statistical data, thorough research and preparation of top-quality analysis and reports.
- Provision of top-quality analysis and substantive inputs to Country Programme Documents and other strategic documents.
- Review of current programmes and projects and recommendation of amendments to mainstream and report on gender equality.
- Support to the country office for corporate reporting, especially on the gender marker.
- Advice on possible areas for UNDP support and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities, with a special focus on gender inclusion.
- Support to and development of the gender-related portfolio, both focused on integration of gender in existing programmes/projects as well as creating gender-focused programmes and joint-programmes with other UN agencies.
- Production and launch of gender reports.
- Contribution to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to gender issues.
- Representation of UNDP in different working groups and interagency working groups on gender
Participates in effective management of the gender programme and gender specific portfolio as well as identifying opportunities for cross cutting amongst thematic areas in the CO focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
- Design and formulation of some parts of the Country Office programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions.
- Set up and lead dialogue between colleagues across all programme units on gender in their work either individually or in a group.
- Supervise International UNV working on gender equality.
- Application of gender conceptual models in support of programme design and support programme, projects and operations units develop action plans on gender issues in their areas, and set up gender specific objectives in their work plans.
- Support formulating clear and measurable goals and expected outcomes related to gender equality and women’s empowerment, focusing on impacts rather than completion of activities.
- Ensure inclusion of gender items on the agenda of internal meetings and seminars and workshops with constituents.
- Research appropriate materials on gender issues across programme units and make these available to colleagues.
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including donor reporting.
Provide support in creation of partnerships
- Strengthen partnerships with key national stakeholders, including national statistical institutions, UN agencies, women’s organizations and other civil society organizations, academia, research institutions and other data collecting organizations.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure capacity development initiatives are harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts.
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases.
- Create a database of national pool of gender experts with appropriate subject specializations, language skills and field experience.
- Liaise with regional gender focal points for advisory services and sharing of information / best practices.
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to the gender issues.
- Support UNDP’s representation in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to gender and SDG localization efforts as required.
- Provide technical inputs to the development of advocacy and communication strategies and activities for maximum communication impact and outreach to promote awareness of the Gender issues.
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide project improvement and strategy planning.
- Identify lessons learned and areas of emphasis to guide project improvements and future strategic interventions.
Provides policy advice and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues.
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals and gender.
- Focal point for the gender seal certification process and implementation.
- Sound contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of training for operations/project staff on gender issues.
- Professional growth through active learning.
The incumbent of the position should strive to ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality are prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions.
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”.
- Diversities based on gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, class and other identities are respected within all implementation.
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered.
- Inclusive approach is reflected through all actions and implementation.
- Gender parity is promoted for all committees, meetings, trainings etc.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master's or Bachelor’s degree in social policy, public policy, politics, economics, development studies, business administration, public administration or a related area.
- Master’s with 2 years or Bachelor’s with 4 years’ experience in working on gender equality and women’s empowerment in a development context.
- Experience related to gender at the national and/or international level.
- Experience in donor and UN partnerships/public relations desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
Language Requirements: Excellent command of written and spoken English.
Vacancy End Date: 18/10/2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd