Library Coach- Literacy Field
Organization: Room To Read
Apply By: 05 May 2019
About The Organization:
Room to Read is a global organization transforming the lives of millions of children in low-income countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Founded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children their innovative model focuses on deep, systemic transformation within schools in low-income countries during two time periods that are most critical in a child’s schooling: early primary school for literacy acquisition and secondary school for girls’ education
The Library Coach (LBC) will be responsible for supporting and coaching teachers, librarians, and principals to adopt new ways of working with children to increase their habit of reading and for setting up and ensuring a highly functioning library. They will report to the Sr. Literacy Program Operations Officer/Literacy Program Operations Officer/Literacy Program Operations Associate and will not have any direct reports. This position is based at project location (District/Block/Mandal/Cluster).
- Develop a thorough understanding of Room to Read’s Literacy program design
- Manage, monitor and support library program intervention across assigned project schools and ensure adherence to the program design.
- Provide support and conduct teachers training.
- Write monthly reports to supervisor on program implementation.
- Provide reflective feedback on program design and implementation (especially with respect to progress towards outcomes) and demonstrate a solution oriented approach
- Undertake school visits every day, except for days when on official travel and leave.
- Support the initial set up of the library, including site verification (if necessary), organizing community meetings, raising requisition and coordinating delivery of furniture, books and stationary
- Collaborates with school to support minor improvements to the library space (e.g. painting)
- Participates in regular teacher and librarian trainings (both center based and school based) related to the Literacy program implementation
- Regularly observes and models good library management practices and systems to designated librarian (i.e. book leveling, reading activities, check out system, etc.)
- Regularly observes, demonstrates and coaches teachers and librarians in the implementation of the library period and reading activities
- Supports and participates in Family & Community Engagement (F&CE) activities like literacy events, parent meetings and other community activities; also coordinates formation and training of Child Management Committees
- Regularly provides to the principal/headmaster an update on progress and coaches them on ways to support teachers and ensure longer term sustainability of literacy outcomes within the school
- Collects monitoring data (both regular and periodic, as required), ensuring high data quality
- Analyze school level data and information on a regular basis collected during regular school visit, identify corrective action to be taken and build it into school level planning
- Attend review meetings at block/district/state/national level, as required, and complete all programmatic and financial reports on a timely manner.
- Supports donor visits through project demonstration and presentation
- Document best practices and lessons learned and share with the Literacy Program team
- Report to the Literacy Program Operations Officer/Associate
- Participate in any other activities which may be required to be undertaken to fulfil the objectives of the organisation
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in education / social sciences or equivalent
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant experience, especially in development projects
- Teaching experience at primary level preferred
- Knowledge about education in general and language development/ literacy in particular
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player
- Basic project management and analytical skills
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd