Post - Doctoral Researcher
Organization: Institute for Social and Economic Change
Apply By: 30 Apr 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi) Bengaluru(Karnataka)
About The Organization:
The Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC) is an All India Institute for Interdisciplinary Research and Training in the Social Sciences, established in 1972 by the late Professor V K R V Rao. It is registered as a Society under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960, to create a blend of field-oriented empirical research and advances in social science theories leading to better public policy formulation.
Project: Inclusive Cities through Equitable access to Urban Mobility Infrastructures for India (EQUIMOB).
Cities in the global South are rapidly growing in size, but many marginalised and vulnerable residents (such as lower-income households, older adults, women and people with disabilities)do not have affordable, safe and accessible public transport, which reduces their ability to have decent work, healthcare and social life. Transport planning largely ignores access inequalities but prioritises efficiency and economic benefits. This project will go beyond traditional engineering approaches by taking a novel, user-centred intersectional approach that recognise show multiple forms of social stratification (e.g. class, gender, age and disability) intersect to produce urban mobility inequalities for marginalised groups. The project is funded by NWO-WOTRO Science for Global Development, awarded to the principal investigator, Dr. Ajay Bailey and consortium members from India and Bangladesh.
Duration: The organization offers a 1.0 fte appointment for 3 years. The first year will be a probationary period and, after a positive assessment, the position will be extended for the remaining 24 months. Your position is that of post-doctoral researcher.
Place of posting: The position will be administratively held at Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, India
The post-doctoral project involves developing qualitative methodological tools and conducting ethnographic fieldwork in Delhi and Bangalore, as well as analysing this data. The post-doctoral researcher is expected to collaborate closely with qualitative and quantitative researchers in the other sub-projects.
- Together with other researchers develop qualitative methods and liaise with nongovernmental organisations, community groups, public transport companies with whom research will be conducted.
- Carry out data collection through go-along interviews, focus-groups and observations among transport users and non-users.
- Analyse qualitative data and collaborate with researchers to analyse the GIS based data.
- Take a leading role in the conceptual and methodological innovations required by the project, in collaboration with the other researchers on team.
- Monitor the projects in Delhi and Bangalore and help to coordinate and administer the overall project, including the organization of workshops and conferences.
- Write and co-author academic publications together with other members of the team(Minimum of one paper per year as lead author and co-author paper with the rest of the team)
- Maintain the website and organise team meetings
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD in Anthropology, Demography, Sociology, International Development Studies, Urban Planning, Geography, Public Health, or a related field.
- Experience with conducting qualitative interviews and ethnographic field work in developing countries, and preferably in India.
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary and multicultural research teams.
- Good organizational skills. Experience with organizing workshops, lecture series, and stakeholder meetings.
- Excellent written and spoken command of English, as demonstrated by publications in
- English-language journals and presentations at international conferences.
- A willingness to contribute proactively to the development of the project.
- Knowledge of Hindi is essential and knowledge of Kannada (desirable).
Applications must contain:
- a motivation letter;
- a full CV;
- an official transcript of the grades during your studies as well as your diploma;
- two names of referees who may be contacted for a letter of reference.
PLEASE submit your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org deadline for application April 30th, 2019
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd