Research Associate - Urban Observatory
Organization: Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS)
Apply By: 08 Aug 2019
About the organization
The Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS) is a national education institution committed to the equitable, sustainable and efficient transformation of Indian settlements. IIHS aims to establish an independently funded and managed national university of eminence for research and innovation focused on the challenges and opportunities of India’s urban transition.
About the PEAK project
Led by the University of Oxford, and in partnership with IIHS, Peking University and the University of Cape Town, the PEAK consortium has identified four overarching themes of urban dynamics - Prediction, Emergence, Adoption and Knowledge. Researchers will work across natural sciences (including mathematics, medicine, transport and engineering), the social sciences (including anthropology, development, migration) and humanities (including law, history).
IIHS seeks applications for a Research Associate to join an initiative to develop an observatory on Bengaluru city. This will be developed as part of a 4-year research project focusing on the economy, infrastructure, public health, energy, land, and spatial modelling. The urbanvobservatory aims to collect various layers of quantitative and spatial data at the city scale, and develop an interactive online platform through which these can be made available to researchers and practitioners working on Bengaluru city.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Assisting with all tasks related to establishing the Bengaluru Urban Observatory;
- Carrying out a study of existing city observatories across the world;
- Collating existing secondary datasets as well as building new datasets (both quantitative and spatial) related to the themes of the project;
- Assisting with the design of primary data collection instruments (both qualitative and quantitative) as part of the project;
- Developing an online tool to disseminate the data to a wide range of audiences;
- Communicating insights from the Bengaluru Urban Observatory across a range of different mediums, such as blogs and op-eds, as well as academic writing such as reports or journal papers;
- Involvement with other related research and practice projects at the Urban Informatics Lab at IIHS;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice and operations;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within or outside the country as needed.
Applicants should have:
- A Master’s degree (or higher) in a relevant field such as (but not limited) to data science or informatics, information science, mathematics, statistics, urban planning, or public policy;
- 3-5 years of work experience on urban data science, urban informatics, mathematics or statistics;
- Expertise in mathematics, statistics, or econometrics;
- Proficiency in Excel / Stata / R;
- Knowledge of GIS or experience working with spatial datasets is an added advantage;
- Experience working with database design / architecture, or data design and communication;
- Familiarity with existing public data sources at the national scale such as the Census, the National Sample Surveys, the National Family Health Survey, as well as data at the city scale such as those regarding infrastructure use and access, land use and property or housing prices, the master plan, etc.;
- An interest in experimenting with or developing new methods as well as building new empirical evidence to study Indian cities.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd