Senior Development Coordination Officer, Economist
Organization: United Nations
Apply By: 12 Sep 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization:
United Nations (UN) is an intergovernmental organization tasked with maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations, achieving international co-operation, and being a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations. They were established with the aim of preventing future wars, and succeeded the ineffective League of Nations.
1. Coordinates evidence-based SDG analysis in support of a shared understanding by the UNCT of sustainable development trends, challenges and opportunities in programme countries
- Directs research, analysis, consolidation and presentation of SDG-related data, as well as information on emerging best practices in sustainable development, paying special attention to gender and capacity development, and proposes policy options to RCs/UNCTs.
- Oversees the identification and analysis of issues that impact multiple SDGs and their targets and proposes ‘accelerator interventions' that can help unlock and accelerate progress towards sustainable development across multiple areas.
- Directs the assessment of sustainable development trade-offs and risk factors, as well as early-warning indicators that may undermine the achievement of SDG targets and impact the UN’s role and programme in the country and identifies appropriate measures to address them.
- Supervises collection and analysis of data on UN country level operations in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, identifies gaps and proposes follow-up actions.
- Manages research, development and presentation of policy papers, guidance notes and other knowledge based-tools and directs discussion in country-level forums to help influence and advance policy dialogue on achieving the SDGs.
- Coordinates the preparation of UN flagship reports, including the analysis of data and ensures the provision of evidence to build the case for policies and interventions on SDGs.
- Oversee the monitoring regional and global economic trends and issues, analyzes their implications for the realization of the SDGs at the country level and recommends additional issues for consideration.
2. Oversees the provision of substantive advice on innovative economic and SDG policies to the RC and UNCT in India, as well as to national counterparts in government and other relevant partners.
- Guides substantive support to the RC/UNCT on SDG-related issues, particularly on policies to accelerate the achievement of the SDGs, including through Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support (MAPS) and similar processes, and evaluates and pursues potential trade-offs between SDGs.
- Leads the identification of issues and recommendations for the UNCT on how UN country-level operations can be optimized and better respond to sustainable development needs and emerging trends in country.
- Elicits, evaluates and consolidates policy options proposed by UNCT members, ensuring an integrated approach to the UN’s policy advice to national counterparts in government and other external partners.
- Plans and directs the work of the in-country UN Joint Policy Team (or equivalent) and drives cross-pillar nexus approaches in country to policy, analysis and assessment.
3. Leads the development by the UNCT of a new generation of SDG programmes with a strong investment orientation and focus on acceleration towards achieving the SDGs.
- Manages the development and implementation of the UN Development Framework (UNDAF) to ensure that the UN’s country-level operational activities effectively support the implementation of the 2030 Agenda in country.
- Supervises the provision of substantive support to programme formulation and revision throughout the UNDAF cycle, based on sound SDG analysis.
- Oversees the provision of substantive support to the UN joint programming process to strengthen the formulation of a new generation of UN joint programmes that are aligned with the SDGs, oriented towards investment, and have impact at the national level.
- Guides UNDAF result groups in the implementation of joint workplans to ensure SDG-relevant and SDG-responsive UN operational activities for development.
- Reviews and endorses recommendations to enhance UN support to governmental and multi-stakeholder processes on SDG policy development and capacity development.
4. Directs SDG knowledge generation and management.
- Plans, facilitates and enhances local, regional and global communities of practice and knowledge networks and promotes collaboration, peer support, innovation good practices, lessons learned, needs, and opportunities in the area of sustainable development.
- Directs research, analysis and presentation of best practices and lessons learned from implementation of UNCT projects and programmes, with a view to advising the RC and UNCT on actions to strengthen the policy orientation of the UN.
- Coordinates the monitoring and analysis of best practices and successful models implemented by the UN in country and suggests options for developing these into bankable national SDG investment policies and programmes.
- Oversees the provision of advice on global/corporate guidelines, tools and other materials related to sustainable development policy.
- Performs other related assignments, as required.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in economics, sustainable development, public policy, business or public administration, social sciences, education or a related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in sustainable development policy, economic analysis or project/programme management in the context of development cooperation or a related area is required.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Client Orientation
- Building Trust
Deadline: 12 September 2019
For more information please click the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd