Senior Research Associate - Initiative on Climate, Energy and Environment
Organization: Centre for Policy Research (CPR)
Apply By: 24 Sep 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization:
The Centre for Policy Research is a non-profit, non-partisan independent institution dedicated to conducting research that contributes to the production of high quality scholarship, better policies, and a more robust public discourse about the structures and processes that shape life in India.
About the Initiative on Climate, Energy and Environment:
The Initiative on Climate, Energy and Environment at the Centre for Policy Research produces research, informs public opinion and generates debate on climate, energy and environment policy at international, national and sub-national levels. Our goal is to enhance policy outcomes through informed research and policy dialogue within India and internationally. Based on the work of this group, in 2016 CPR was ranked 15th globally by the International Centre for Climate Governance in its standardised (adjusting for size) ranking of global think tanks, 3rd in the Rest of the World category (countries not in North America or Europe) and was the top ranked Indian think-tank for 2016. To know more about the initiative and its work visit: http://www.cprindia.org/projects/initiative-climateenergy-and-environment
The candidate will be required to develop and lead research on the politics of the environment and climate change in India’s cities, in particular Delhi. Themes that can be engaged with include:
- India’s climate policy, particularly at the sub-national level
- linkages between climate mitigation and adaptation, local environmental outcomes and broader development objective in India’s cities;
- The politics of mainstreaming environmental issues in city master-planning and state elections
- The role of social, environmental, youth, and justice movements in mainstreaming environmental and climate concerns in local and state politics.
In addition to research work, this job requires corresponding budgeting and project management tasks. There will also be opportunity to simultaneously work in collaboration with other ICEE faculty and researchers, should there be overlapping interests (current ICEE focus areas are: political economy of the electricity sector; transitions in India’s demand, particularly cooling; rural electricity demand; air pollution governance; and climate change institutions). In addition, the Senior Research Associate will eventually be expected to contribute and participate in the Initiative’s outreach and grant-support activities.
- Develop and execute an independent research program to understand the emergence of sub-national climate action in India.
- Engage in on-going discussions on the politics of environmental and climate concerns in Delhi’s 2020 State elections, and 2021 Delhi Master-planning process.
- Engage with political parties, urban planners, and social, environmental, youth and justice movements concerned with climate change and environment in Delhi, through meetings and interviews.
- Conduct qualitative research on the interests, conflicts, and coalitions of political actors in Delhi concerned with climate and environmental concerns.
- Track specific sectoral developments, particularly in the urban, environmental, and climate justice sectors.
- Prepare academic publications based on the research.
- Lead project and budget management tasks related to the research program, including reporting to grants.
- Perform internal and external communication and coordination tasks with relation to the research themes including: publication of op-eds in English and Hindi media, use of social media to generate public discussion, co-ordinate and inform political actors on environmental and climate topics.
- Assist CPR Fellows with qualitative research involving household interviews
- Assist and undertake fundraising activities on a need basis.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Relevant Master’s degree in a relevant social sciences area, urban studies, engineering or public policy, with demonstrated research ability.
- Relevant work and researcher experience in urban policy, environmental policy, climate change, politics, and social movements; ideally with at least 2-5 year’s work experience,
- Demonstrated ability to take on and execute independent research projects, including budgetary and project management, is essential.
- Strong writing skills are essential; publications in refereed journals are desirable.
- Experience with editorial tasks and communication skills are desirable.
Remuneration: Competitive think tank salary commensurate to candidate’s experience
Please send in your CV along with a Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line “Application: Senior Research Associate – Cities”.
For more information please click the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd