Short-Term Consultant, PayDash
Organization: The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL)
Apply By: 30 Jun 2019
Location: New Delhi(Delhi) Patna(Bihar)
About the organization
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 171 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty.
Project and Role
- Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at the Center for International Development at Harvard University has partnered with India’s Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR), to implement a series of research projects focused on development policy in India. Both IFMR and EPoD are dedicated to using rigorous evidence to address challenging questions at the intersection of economic development and public policy. Our cutting-edge research examines questions related to governance, financial inclusion, livelihoods, gender and sustainable development, drawing from a network of expert academics with expertise in India and around the world.
- EPoD India, in partnership with its host institution, IFMR, is currently seeking Short-Term Consultants for a field-based research project related to the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, headed by Professor Rohini Pande. During this assignment, successful candidates will be expected to survey and train local administrative officials at the Block and District level, and assist the team in organizing training sessions across the states of Bihar and potentially Madhya Pradesh. As a result, the profile will involve frequent travel over 1-2 months, although candidates will tentatively be based out of the New Delhi/Patna offices. Candidates are expected to be fluent in Hindi and English (both oral and written), and must exhibit proficiency in dealing and interacting with government officials, apart from general management, presentation and organizational skills.
- The selected candidates will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from top universities and EPoD India at IFMR. They will work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments.
- Assist in and conduct project-specific surveys and training sessions with block and district officials in Bihar, and potentially Madhya Pradesh.
- Contribute to day-to-day implementation of field-based research (surveying, project implementation) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting for the project.
- Assist administration of survey instruments and implement appropriate structures and systems for a larger randomized intervention, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff; and coordination with local partners.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with national, state, and lower-level government officials and other potential partners (academics, policy organizations, NGOs, etc.) as requested.
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for EPoD and IFMR in India and for program monitoring and reporting to the Principal Investigators.
- Seek out and collect administrative data from policy partners and government agencies
- Others, as required
- Bachelor's degree holders, preferably in economics or a related field.
- Field experience is a plus and candidates must be willing to travel to field locations.
- Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills.
- Mature, self-directed individual with strong attention to detail and the ability to work in large teams, provide inputs on planning and logistics, interact with government officials and balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
- Comfort with mobile applications and technology tools.
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development.
- Candidate should have demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners of various levels.
- Prior experience of working with officials from Ministry of Rural Development and familiarity with NREGA payment process is a plus.
If you are interested in this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org . In the subject line, put “Short Term Consultant - PayDash” followed by your first and last name (e.g., XXX – Jane Doe) and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter (one page max)
- Academic transcripts from all degrees received
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd