Social Advisor - Responsible Ship Recycling
Apply By: 28 Apr 2019
About the organization:
Maersk Line is the world’s largest container shipping company, known for reliable, flexible and eco-efficient services. They operate 610 container vessels and provide ocean transportation in all parts of the world. It is a devoted to creating simple and reliable solutions for our partners, continuously lifting industry standards and enabling global trade in the most sustainable manner possible.
MAERSK Line have initiated the responsible ship recycling project in order to challenge the way we currently recycle our assets. The aim is to deliver an end-to-end control on ship recycling, change the decision base and pace whilst enabling the Brands to make the right decisions. The company's key priority is to leverage sustainability to mitigate risks and drive new opportunities and competitive advantage, by way of standards, strategies, policies, and stakeholder engagement, capacity-building, trend-spotting, reporting and effective communication
Social Advisor, Responsible Ship Recycling on a two-year contract to join us in executing the ambitious “Responsible Ship Recycling" wider Alang development project .You will form part of a highly engaged team focused on responsible ship recycling challenges in India with health, safety, environment, human rights, social and socio-economic factors as top priorities, amongst others.
The position requires to be based in Mumbai, with extensive travel to Gujarat and the Alang area whilst reporting into the Head of Responsible Ship Recycling. The responsibilities shall include working in a matrix set-up with Sustainability and Public affairs, including participation in the Maersk India Corporate Social Responsibility committee.
- To key account manage involved stakeholders related to the wider Alang area development
- To conduct a study of the key issues, prepare phase-wise development plans and catalyse acceleration of upgrades
- To develop a robust execution plan, monitoring framework for ongoing health-related interventions at Alang with key focus on hand-holding of the implementing partners
- To monitor the current projects, manage external audits and lead internal audits, in close liaison with implementing partners and local stakeholders
- To seek partners to support the wider Alang area development work by engagement of credible third parties to endorse our approach and work in Alang, including potential donor/investments
- To monitor and key account manage the overall wider Alang area development activities, including but not limited to medical, community health awareness, labour and human rights, social security, waste management, environment, etc.
- To liaise and support on key policy health issues, stakeholder management overview, outreach and communication
- To support on audits and development of training material related to anti-corruption, labour and human rights and sub-contractors
- To support on stakeholder events/visits, arrange follow-up audits, amongst others; facilitate logistics (travel and accommodation) at Alang/Bhavnagar, as appropriate
- To contribute in discussions, organize/facilitate/attend meetings as an APMM representative in Alang
- To ensure reports are prepared and timely disseminated to all involved stakeholders
Qualifications and Experience:
- The ideal candidate would be a graduate with socio-economic and/or political science background, with least 7 - 10 years of work experience involving overall regional/national and/or international development aid work
- You thrive in a dynamic high-pace environment with good analytical skills and are a strong self-motivated person
- You have sharp interpersonal, planning and coordination skills with ability to manage a diverse stakeholder base, including local, national and international communities
- You are diplomatic and able to achieve optimum results without having formal direct authority over those in whom change is sought. You have a natural ability to handle a lot on the plate, are outgoing, service minded with attention to detail and above all a high degree of ownership with proactive approach
- You have documented experience of working closely with Trade and Labour Unions, NGO’s, impact funding institutions, community investments, government authorities, associated key players and influencers
- Understanding of various auditing standards, amongst others, SA 8000, ISO 9001, 14001 and 18001 as well as, Environment Protection Act, 1986 as amended; MSIHC and Chemical Accident Rules, 1989 as amended; Hazardous Waste Rules, 2008 as amended; Shipbreaking Code, 2013 as amended; Factories Act, 1948 as amended, etc. is relevant but not a must
- You have strong working knowledge in written and spoken English. Fluent Hindi speaking is essential and Gujarati preferable. You have excellent oral and written communication skills with proven capabilities in the use of MS Office package (especially PowerPoint and Excel)
- You are highly reliable and flexible with whatever work you undertake, have the ability to take the initiative, to prioritize and to organize your workload
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd