State Project Manager - Vijayawada
Apply By: 18 Oct 2019
Location: Vijayawada(Andhra Pradesh)
About the Organization:
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. They advocate for change and connect countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for them. They provide expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. They promote technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Position: State Project Manager - Vijayawada
Job ID: 26405
UNDP is currently working in various areas concerning sustainable development, from systems and institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, as well as sustainable energy, environment and resilience.
The Climate Change, Resilience and Energy portfolio at UNDP is organized around the thematic areas of climate change adaptation and mitigation; disaster management and resilience; and access to clean and efficient energy. The GCF funded project on “Enhancing Climate Resilience of India’s Coastal Communities” supports the Government of India to enhance the resilience of vulnerable coastal communities to climate change in three target states – Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha.
The project will work at national, state and community levels to enhance capacities for ecosystem-based approaches to climate change adaptation and will enable climate policy and finance shifts to catalyse climate action in all of India’s coastal states and union territories.
The State Project Manager (SPM) will be overlooking the implementation of the project in Andhra Pradesh. S/he will be based at the respective state duty station (Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh). S/he shall work under the direct supervision of the National Project Coordinator (NPC) and the overall guidance of the State focal point of the respective Government counterpart and Chief- Climate Change, Resilience and Energy (CCRE) UNDP- based in New Delhi. S/he would be responsible for overall implementation of the approved project in Andhra Pradesh. As this is a full-time position, s/he cannot hold any other job/assignments during this assignment.
The SPM will be required to work with and support the NPC in overall project implementation and will be responsible for the supervision of the State PMU as well as project deliverables in Andhra Pradesh. S/he will manage day-to-day project management and oversee regular monitoring of project results and risks, including social and environmental risks in the respective state. To ensure engagement of all direct stakeholders and delivery of project objective, he/she will facilitate coordination with the State relevant actors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish linkages and work in close coordination with the National Project Coordinator. Assist the National Project Coordinator in planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and evaluation of all the project activities in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Foster partnerships with key state government and relevant technical institutions working on climate change issues in Andhra Pradesh.
- Prepare detailed workplans for the State, outlining key activities, deliverables and their timelines for the State PMU.
- Based on the overall project annual workplan, develop state specific annual work plans and ensure accurate and timely reporting to UNDP and MoEFCC for activities of the project in Andhra Pradesh.
- Provide information and inputs for developing Terms of reference for consultants/ consultancy firms to be hired to undertake project activities;
- Commission activities like research studies, state level assessments training workshops etc. and manage the operational aspects of procurement, event management, logistics etc. in coordination with UNDP;
- Identify capacity development needs of implementing partners and arrange for necessary trainings.
- Coordinate with national team and other state teams under the project to share lessons and experiences
- Manage and track contracts with project partners and flag any potential risks and suggest its mitigation measures. Ensure timely contract management and payments;
- Undertake review meetings with partners and field visits to track progress made in implementation of the project and take corrective action as required;
- Review quality and consistency of reports and deliverables by partner institutions/ responsible parties including financial reports from all project partners,
- Regular financial management and reporting as per the UNDP financial guidelines; Ensure effective financial management and reporting as per the UNDP financial guidelines;
- Prepare quarterly project progress reports, provide necessary information and inputs for preparing presentations and other documents for project steering committee and review meetings as required by National Project Coordinator;
- Facilitate and participate in the periodic review meetings and discussions related to project implementation, monitoring and follow-up;
- Supervise the work of team members or consultants, as may be recruited under the Project at the state level;
- Any other responsibility related to the project assigned by the Supervisor(s).
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organization
Job Knowledge/ Technical skills
- Good knowledge on climate change and ecosystem management
- Excellent technical and analytical writing skills
- Decisiveness, independence, good judgment, ability to work under pressure
- Strong facilitation and moderation, communication skills
- Ability to carry out research and communicate strategic pieces that guide decisions on strategic programme directions
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Excellent networking and partnering competencies and negotiating skills
- Ability to guide Project Management Team
- Good manager of people and resources to obtain best results
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to guide the Project Management Unit in implementing and achieving project outcomes
- Ability to represent and promote the project at national and international meetings
- Reliable in delivering own parts of the work as part of a team effort
- Demonstrates excellent work/project planning skills
- Is open to change and ability to manage complex, ever-changing environments
Required Skills and Experience:
Master’s degree from a recognized institution in Environmental Studies / Environment Management/ Sustainable development /Social science / public policy
- At least 8- 10 years of programme / project management experience.
- At least 8 years of relevant post Masters Experience at the national level on climate change and relevant programmes.
- Outstanding communication, project management and organization skills
- Experience of working with Central and / or State Governments on similar assignments will be preferred.
- Familiarity with the working environment and professional standards of international organisations and national and state governments
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is essential.
Language Requirements: Fluency in local language (Telugu) and English is mandatory. Hindi is desirable.
Remuneration package: INR 1,22,440 per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which includes medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for the contract holder and encourages work life balance
Vacancy End Date: 18/10/2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd