State Technical Officer – Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Apply By: 22 Jul 2019
About the organization
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations. It works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity. It works internationally to help countries achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
About the Project
In view of India’s commitment to the 2030 Agenda, the Uttarakhand State Government is committed to fulfilling the SDGs targets by aiming to improve the livelihoods of its population with a focus on promoting the tourism activities (home stay and rural tourism), development of hill agriculture (organic farming and horticulture with aromatic and herbal development), promotion of MSME (Food processing, nursery development).
Government of Uttarakhand has signed MoU with UNDP to work collectively for the development of the state including the SDGs. Services of a technical officer are required to lead UNDP’s intervention regarding roll-out of SDGs at the state level. The technical officer is also expected to identify opportunities, develop programmes and their implementation strategies to promote national and state priorities, including the SDGs. The technical officer shall report to State Head , Uttarakhand
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides support and inputs to strategic planning in line with the priorities and development objectives of the state governments in support of the SDGs through:
Support to UNDP programmatic work
- Identifying entry points in consultation with the State governments for SDG localization
- Designing strategies for implementation of SDGs in the states aligned with projects that UNDP can support;
- Identifying opportunities for high value addition/high impact projects, testing of innovative development solutions, and scaling up successful initiatives at various levels State, district or community;
- Undertaking research, writing concepts notes, technical proposals, reports and any other technical document to support the expansion of the UNDP engagement with the State Government in various sectors.
Support to research, analytics and and capacity development. Strengthening the capacities for planning and implementation at state and district level, to deliver on key development priorities and objectives;
- Preparing background analysis on SDGs and related issues for partner consultations and high-level meetings with government counterparts, donor community, etc.
- Developing knowledge products for increasing understanding on SDGs at all levels
- Develop and implement customized training manuals and tools for localizing SDGs
- Analysis of SDG-related information and best practices, with emphasis on gender, people with disabilities, the youth and other vulnerable groups
- Identification of data gaps impeding sound and timely data analysis for policy, planning and monitoring and evaluation
- Conduct policy research for identifying areas which need further input for achieving the SDGs by 2030
Support for Stakeholder Engagement
- Engaging other stakeholders, including other UN agencies for disseminating information and creating SDG centric platforms in collaboration with the government
- Promoting synergies between various specialized agencies, think tanks and other knowledge hubs for strengthening linkages with UNDP
- Engaging grassroots level functionaries into preparing SDG centric participatory planning exercise
- Any other work assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- Desirable: Master’s Degree in Development Studies, Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience of working with the government at national level or sub-national level in the area of inter-sectoral planning.
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis, including in formulation, monitoring and evaluation of strategies and development programmes/projects.
- Sound understanding of working of state government departments.
- Exposure to state Planning Processes and annual budgeting exercise of the government.
- A sound knowledge of outcome budget, Green budgeting, plan formulation, resource mobilization, economic analysis, convergence modelling
- Experience in coordination with stakeholders
- Adequate experience of drafting Project Proposals including monitoring tools such as log frame among other
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Working experience with the Government of Uttarakhand
- Sound knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations, policies, procedures and practices.
- Having Exposure to SDG (or MDGs) concept and implementation
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation
Fluency in English and Hindi is essential.
Remuneration package is Rs. 77,809/- per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which include medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for contract holder and encourages work life balance.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd