Technical Specialist – Climate Resilience
Organization: Asian Disaster Preparedness Center
Apply By: 02 May 2019
About the Organization:
The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), established in 1986, is a regional intergovernmental organization with headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand supporting the advancement of safer communities and sustainable development, through implementing programs that reduce the impact of disasters upon countries and communities in Asia and the Pacific. The primary geographical focus of ADPC is Asia with the South, South East, and East Asia being the primary sub-regions
The Technical Specialist will support and lead the provision of technical inputs for the preparation of climate risk management system/tools, strategies and programs by working closely with the related sectors, and contribute in developing, managing, and implementing related project activities according to the priorities of the state
- Provide technical support to establish and strengthen climate risk management system by improving management and utilization of information between stakeholders;
- Analyze climate and disaster risks in sensitive sectors and systems. This includes analyzing hazards, vulnerability and adaptive capacity of climate-sensitive sectors, in order to develop risk atlases and design appropriate climate risk reduction and adaptation/mitigation interventions to suit all levels (state to community level);
- Use risk analytics and design end-to-end early warning systems for the sensitive sectors and systems;
- Provide recommendations for bridging local and scientific knowledge for improved local weather forecast and early-warning systems;
- Conduct capacity assessment of data flow from collection, analysis, forecasting to the dissemination of useful information to end-users (among related stakeholders- Remote sensing applications center, IMD, Universities, Department of Agriculture, end users, i.e., Farmers);
- Develop and strengthen systems to improve the role of information and communications technologies for accurate, reliable and timely climate information and risk-informed planning;
- Assist in integrating and mainstreaming the decision support systems and climate risk management into the development planning process at various levels.
- Provide technical training related to climate risk management for integrating climate change and disaster risk impacts into the annual development planning process, and mainstreaming initiatives of the sensitive sectors in Bihar;
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Program Director
- HQ Level: Report directly to the Director, Preparedness for Response and Resilient Recovery Department
- Field Level: Program Manager, Bihar
Secondary Reporting relationship:
- Principal Secretaries, Key Sectoral Departments, Bihar
Contract: One (1) year contract with possibility of extension.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. degree in Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, Water Resource Engineering,
- Agriculture and/or a related field (such as disaster management, climate risk management); Candidates with a master degree with relevant extensive experience would be considered in lieu of Ph.D.
- Previous experience in mainstreaming climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction into sectoral development strategies, strong analytical skills, including climate inclusive risk assessments; experience in remote sensing and geographic information system will be preferred;
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience with 3-4 years in the field of eco-system based adaptation, risk management, environment/climate impact assessment, Natural Resource Management, Water Resource
- Engineering, and/or a related field (such as geospatial sciences, disaster management, climate risk management, agriculture) in India and/or the Asian region;
- Knowledge and experience on impacts of multi-hazards and climate change on climate-sensitive sectors such as agriculture/food security, water, etc.;
- Experience in design, implementation, and management of projects related to climate resilience in climate sensitive sectors such as agriculture/food;
- Previous proven experience in the application of specific technical information and data into training and capacity building programs is essential;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding related to international agreements, practices, and policies on the field of disaster risk reduction and climate resilience;
- Excellent English proficiency in oral and written communication, including a demonstrated track record in training material development, technical report writing and ability to communicate technical matters effectively to a general audience. Proficiency and communication skills in Hindi will be an added qualification.
- Strong networking capacity and understanding of development work at local and regional scales
- Familiarity with the context of disaster risk reduction in Bihar and/or other states of India in general.
- Experience with both qualitative and quantitative data analysis and reporting.
- Represent ADPC to the highest of professional and scientific standards at all times;
- Operating within all ADPC Guidelines & Procedures/Policies;
- Provide ongoing internal capacity building, training, and development to ADPC staff as required
- Demonstrated ability and plan and organize work and time independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team-oriented work style, and experience in working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong desires to learn, undertake new challenges, must a creative problem-solver and must have self confidence and willingness to work hard.
How to apply: Interested candidates, please submit the completed ADPC application form, resume, copy of diploma(s) and certificate(s) together with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2nd May 2019
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd