Applications Invited for Commonwealth Secretary-General’s Innovation Awards 2023
Organization: The Commonwealth
Event Duration: 13 Sep. 2023 - 15 Oct. 2023
Apply By: 15 Oct 2023
About the Organization
The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 56 independent and equal countries. It is home to 2.5 billion people, and includes both advanced economies and developing countries. 33 of our members are small states, including many island nations.
Our member governments have agreed to shared goals like development, democracy and peace. Our values and principles are expressed in the Commonwealth Charter.
The Commonwealth's roots go back to the British Empire. But today any country can join the modern Commonwealth. The last two countries to join the Commonwealth were Gabon and Togo in 2022.
About the Event
Citizens and organisations from the 56 Commonwealth countries can now submit entries for the Secretary-General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards to win prestigious titles and cash prizes.
Launched by the Commonwealth Secretary-General in 2019, the awards recognise ground-breaking innovations from Commonwealth countries that contribute to one or more of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
An independent jury will judge the entries and select 15 winners – three from each Commonwealth region – across five categories. Each category is structured around the five pillars of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace, and Partnership.
The awards focus on celebrating innovations that improve the lives of people, protect the planet, support prosperity, promote peace and strengthen partnerships for sustainable development.
Each winner will receive a trophy, a certificate of recognition and a cash prize of £3,000 at an award ceremony, to be held during the inaugural Commonwealth Edition of Kenya Innovation Week 2023 in Nairobi on 27 November.
Key objectives of the Awards:
- Identify, highlight and support the innovations that show demonstrable potential for enhancing sustainability in Commonwealth countries in line with the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Help create an environment that will encourage and sustain investments in innovations led by governments, businesses, women, young people and social enterprises across the Commonwealth;
- Illustrate the depth and breadth of talent, commitment and creativity that exists across the Commonwealth by highlighting the innovative potential of the award winners;
- Inspire, encourage and challenge others to develop innovations that will be of value and service at the community, national, regional or international levels in achieving the SDGs.
Three awards will be given in each of the following five categories:
- Improve the well-being of Commonwealth PEOPLE
- Improve PROSPERITY in the Commonwealth
- Protect the PLANET and the natural environment in the Commonwealth
- Promote PEACE and justice in the Commonwealth
- Promote PARTNERSHIPS for development in the Commonwealth
There will be three award winners in each of the five categories, adding up to a total of 15 winners. In each of the five categories, one winner will be selected from the public sector (national/regional/local government), one winner from will be from civil society / not-for-profit sector and one winner will be an entrepreneur or a private sector company.
The award winners will be selected on the basis of an objective set of criteria by an independent jury composed of eminent people from different walks of life.
Each award winner will receive a trophy, a certificate and prize money of £3,000.
- Nominees can be individuals, organisations, companies, charities or government ministries / departments / agencies;
- Nominees must be directly engaged in developing their innovations, either in a full-time, part-time or voluntary capacity;
- Nominees must be Commonwealth citizens, governments or public sector organisations in Commonwealth countries, private enterprises based in Commonwealth countries or civil society / not-for-profit organisations based in Commonwealth countries;
- Nominated innovations must be able to demonstrate impact or potential in achieving progress on one or more of the 17 SDGs in a Commonwealth country (or countries);
- Award winners must agree to take part in Commonwealth-supported activities and initiatives related to the Commonwealth Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards.
How to Apply
Entry deadline: 15 October 2023 at 23:59 HOURS GMT
Women and young people, who are transforming their communities through innovative solutions, are especially encouraged to apply.
This is the third biennial edition of the awards, with the previous ceremonies held in 2019 and 2021.
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
Latest Tenders And EOIs
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd