Subscribe our Weekly Newsletter
Organization: World Bank Group
Apply By: 21 Jun 2021
Location: Sri Lanka
About the Organization
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
The South Asia Region Context
The South Asia Region comprises eight countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka) that range in size from India (with a population of over 1 billion) to Maldives (with 0.3 million people). The region has experienced a long period of robust economic growth, averaging 6% a year over the past 20 years. It was the second-fastest growing region in the world in the aftermath of the global crisis. This strong growth has translated into declining poverty and impressive improvements in human development. The percentage of people living below the poverty line fell in South Asia from 56% to 16% between 1981 and 2013. Still, the region remains home to a third of the world’s poorest, with 216 million people living below $1.9/day.
The South Asia Region: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/sar
Country and Unit Context:
The World Bank has been assisting Sri Lanka in developing and delivering appropriate solutions to the country. Under the World Bank Group Country Partnership Framework (CPF) FY17-20 (which was extended till FY21), our program focuses on three areas: (i) macro-stability and competitiveness; (ii) inclusion and opportunities for all; and (iii) green growth, environmental management, and climate change adaptation and mitigation potential.
As part of the South Asia Region (SAR), the SACSN Country Management Unit (CMU) is responsible for overseeing the World Bank's programs in Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka. The CMU is led by the Country Director based in Kathmandu, Nepal, supported by the Operations Manager (OM) in Kathmandu and the Country Program Coordinator (CPC) in Washington DC! The Sri Lanka country office in Colombo has approximately 60 staff and is headed by the Country Manager for Maldives and Sri Lanka.
The World Bank in Sri Lanka: https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/srilanka
The SACSN CMU is looking for two qualified candidates who could provide administrative and operational support. Successful candidates will report to the Country Manager and work closely with the technical staff. One position (Team Assistant) will provide administrative and logistics support to operational teams and the other position (Administrative Assistant) will focus more on general administrative support to all staff (e.g., fleet management, event management, catering management, tracking missions, support to international staff, visas, etc.).
The Team Assistant carries out a full range of office support work, including managing processes and monitoring schedules related to their team's/unit's products and tasks.
- Effectively coordinates relationships with government, private sector and civil society clients and partners.
- Coordinates with units across the Bank and liaises frequently with team members both at headquarters and in Sri Lanka. Drafts a variety of documents, translating when vital and applying effective proofreading and grammar skills in English.
- Uses word processing, shared drives, and desktop publishing skills to produce sophisticated text, reports, figures, graphs, etc., according to standard Bank formats and distribution.
- Coordinates schedules taking priorities into account, monitors changes, and communicates the information to appropriate staff, inside and outside the immediate work unit, including officials outside the Bank Group.
- Assists in preparation and logistical planning for events, e.g. conferences, workshops, negotiations, etc.
- Monitors task budgets and other activities within their teams or clusters and monitors routine deliverable and performance metrics.
- Tracks assigned task/project steps/timetables, coordinates with relevant staff and provides assistance and/or information on project-related matters.
- Undertakes stretch assignments using analytical, diagnostic, and writing skills.
- Maintains current distribution lists, phone/address lists of project/product contacts, and distributes documents for the team which also includes maintaining up-to-date work unit project and other files (both paper and electronic)
- Maintains strict confidentiality of the unit.
The Administrative Assistant carries out the full range of office support work, including managing processes and schedules related to the Business Facilities Unit tasks.
- Coordinate with units across the Bank and liaise frequently with team members both at Headquarters and Country Offices as well as external counterparts
- Process all Official Visas - ETA Visas, Entry Visas, Resident Visas, Visa extension and Group Visas for Workshop participants
- Order refreshments for staff requests, monthly staff meetings and staff farewells
- Assist in preparation and logistical planning for events and mission visits
- Draft a variety of documents, translating when necessary and applying effective proofreading.
- Maintain current distribution lists, phone/address lists of contacts, distribute documents for teams which also includes maintaining up-to-date work unit and other files (both paper and electronic).
- Coordinate official vehicle clearance, registrations, transfers, disposals, revenue license and insurance
- Coordinate press releases for external vacancy announcements/advertisements
- Coordinate general inbound shipment clearance
- Organize duty free purchase of liquor and wine for office functions and expatriate staff
- Coordinate and provide logistical support for expatriate staff in obtaining Diplomatic ID cards, ID renewals, clearing household goods, etc.
- Update database of Staff and Vehicle details for both UN and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Support administrative functions and carry out any other related work assigned by the Supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
- Experience with/understanding of Government systems would be an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English. Good command of Sinhala/Tamil will be preferred.
- Advanced computer skills and full proficiency in the use of relevant software applications.
Technology and systems knowledge - Demonstrates advanced knowledge and experience working with Microsoft office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, SAP etc.) and basic graphic design and desktop publishing. Comfortable with testing and learning new applications and mobile technology.
Project and task management - Exhibits good organizational, problem-solving skills and ability to work competently with minimal supervision. Demonstrates attention to detail and quality. Has ability to manage multiple tasks and complete tasks within agreed schedule!
Versatility and adaptability - Demonstrates flexibility and is receptive to the implementation of new solutions. Is willing to stretch own capability. Demonstrates motivation to avail and adapt oneself to effecting change.
Client Orientation - Exhibits positive and professional client service attitude; is able to understand clients' needs and complete them professionally
Drive for Results - Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed- upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Able to learn and share knowledge/information across the unit.
Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Able to manage information and support retention and disposition of information and records. Can search, report, and deliver basic information from various sources and independently respond to basic inquires. Can prepare analytical reports by gathering data from multiple sources.
Communication - Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, knowledge in Sinhala/Tamil will be preferred. Can assist in the preparation of written materials in accordance with WB administrative guidelines and best practices. Able to write clearly, edit and proofread. Able to communicate effectively with high level officials and specialists both within the Bank and with government, private sector, and civil society counterparts.
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd