Subscribe our Weekly Newsletter
Organization: Room to Read
Apply By: 03 Mar 2023
Position: Associate- Accounting
Duty Station: Bangalore, Karnataka
Department: Staff Support
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community-based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read’s worldwide team has impacted over 7.8 million children by constructing more than 1,600 schools, establishing over 15,000 libraries, publishing 874 new children’s book titles in 27 local languages, and reaching over 20,000 girls through our Girls’ Education program.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$43.7 million and our global staff numbers over 600. Our global headquarters is in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
Room to Read India was established in 2003. It is headquartered in New Delhi and currently has operations across twelve states, viz. Chhattisgarh, Delhi NCR, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Telangana, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, and Uttar Pradesh. Room to Read India has been the recipient of the prestigious TOI- JP Morgan Social Impact Award 2013 under the NGO category for education.
The Associate, Accounting position will assist and report to the State Manager. Primary responsibilities include assisting in maintaining all aspects of the organization’s finances and accounts. The position will have regular interactions with all staff. This position is based in Bangalore, Karnataka.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for maintaining up-to-date books and accounting records in INTACCT
- Processing and accounting for all payments including vendor invoices & staff claims in a timely manner in accordance with Room to Read policies and procedures.
- Ensure management of filing systems and maintaining office records and registers.
- Ensure compliances as per statutory requirements (FCRA, Income Tax and others)
- Assisting on monthly accounting closure such as generation of reports, reconciliations and BRS
- Follow up with the bank on any matters pertaining to bank transactions
- Ensure local donor’s compliance is in place at State level as per MOU / SOPs etc. inclusive of maintaining the books of accounts and documents.
- Ensure along with State Manager all the policies and procedures are in place in all financial transactions
- Support in State Office AP&B process, monthly Budget Outlook and cash forecast process and ensure realistic estimation as per programs implementation calendar.
- Support on annual statutory audit, RTR’s internal audit and Local donor’s audit as and when needed
- Participate in any other activities which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization as when necessary
- Any other duties and responsibilities assigned by the line manager
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in Commerce or related field (accounting, management, etc.)
- A minimum of five years of experience in NGO Accounting field.
- Adept at using Microsoft Office applications – word, excel and other accounting software
- Working experience in accosting software like INTACCT is preferred
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization.
- Verbal and written communication skills in English and Kannada.
- Advanced degree in finance related field
- 5 years related accounting experience in an International NGO
- Flexible attitude towards changing priorities and ability to multi-task with an eye for detail.
- Strong initiative and leadership skills.
- Team player.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read has zero tolerance when it comes to child abuse and exploitation and believes that all children have equal rights to protection. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to the child protection policy, code of conduct and standards and will undergo rigorous reference and background check through third party. Background check will include the verification of employment history and criminal check. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check
Room to Read offers a competitive pay with excellent benefits. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries on literacy and gender equality in education.
Kindly CLICK HERE to Apply for this position.
Due to the high volume of applicant responses, not all applicants may receive a response from Room to Read. Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd