RFP - Field Implementaion of Expanding Contraceptive Basekt of Choice Project in Assam
Apply By: 08 Jun 2023
About the Organization
Jhpiego (pronounced “ja-pie-go”), is an international non-profit health organization affiliated with Johns Hopkins University. For 50 years, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions to strengthen the delivery of health care services for women and their families. By putting evidence-based health innovations into everyday practice, Jhpiego works to break down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
About the Proposal
Momentum Country and Global Leadership India: Yash engages in global initiatives and provides technical and capacity development assistance (TCDA) to partners to apply evidence and best practices to accelerate progress toward sustainable improvements in the health of women, children, and families. Jhpiego India is the implementing technical partner of MCGL India: Yash. In India MCGL India: Yash has been focusing in 5 priority states which includes Assam.
MCGL India: Yash is currently implementing “Expanding Contraceptive Choices”, a program focused on increasing the knowledge and utilization of all contraceptive methods among tea garden population in select tea gardens. The program aims at strengthening the adoption of existing contraceptive methods and introduce newer contraceptive methods like contraceptive implants and subcutaneous injectable, thereby reducing unintended and closely spaced pregnancies and improving the overall health of women and families belonging to the tea garden workforce.
Amalgamated Plantation Private Limited (APPL) which is the second largest tea producer in India, having 21 tea gardens in the state of Assam, agreed to partner with MCGL India: Yash, Jhpiego to work in APPL tea gardens in Assam. Dibrugarh District of Assam has been chosen to pilot implement the program to test the implementation model and generate learnings that will be used for further expansion across Assam. Out of 21 tea estates of APPL, five tea estates are located in Dibrugarh district.
The project implementation in the 5 tea estates began in Jan’22 3. Six community mobilizers, at least one from each tea garden (depending on the size of the tea garden). has been hired and trained to carry out community awareness activities in the 5 tea gardens. The community mobilizers have been selected from the local tea garden community and have good understanding of their own community. The shortlisted agency will be expected to onboard these already functioning community mobilizers for executing the SOW.
To carry out a limited introduction of Contraceptive Implants and Sub-cutaneous MPA in select tea gardens of Dibrugarh Assam with the aim of decreasing unintended pregnancy and maternal morbidity to improve health status of women through expanded range and reach of contraceptive methods.
Manpower requirement from the agency
The agency needs to ensure that hired staff members under the project works without any prejudice or discrimination against the local community. The agency should showcase their manpower strength and organizational structure to carry out the work. The agency is expected to enroll existing community mobilizers who are already carrying out work in the tea gardens.
- 6 community mobilizers – Already working in the 5 tea estates will be inducted by the CSO
- 1 Project Coordinator – To oversee the project to be based out of Dibrugarh Assam.
The agency will recruit additional community mobilizers in consultation with APPL Welfare Officers and MCGL staff
- 20 community mobilizers –To be recruited by CSO in 17 tea gardens
- 5 Project Coordinator – To be recruited by CSO to oversee the project in newer districts.
Scope of Work
- The agency is expected to carry out community awareness/engagement strategies developed by it in consultation with MCGL India Yash
- Agency personnel to undertake one-to-one and small group interpersonal communication (IPC) in the community residing near the tea estates
- Identify barriers to greater contraceptive adoption, prioritize critical barriers and develop communication themes for IPC messaging. Suggest IPC tools and communication materials and collaborate with MCGL India Yash Communication team before finalizing them.
- Incorporate Family Planning High Impact Practices in the area of Social and Behaviour Change
- The agency is expected to carry out regular awareness generation activities in the select tea estates in the following existing platforms
- State Employee Council Meeting (More frequent during tea harvesting season); otherwise monthly meetings
- Mothers Group Meeting – Mothers group meeting takes place on a monthly basis at the tea garden health facility. Usually one mothers group exist in one tea garden.
- Adolescent Groups – Multiple Adolescent girls/boys group present in one tea garden. As adolescent group members are future adult’s, awareness generation activities with the groups will also take place.
Leverage other platforms that may exist in the community for organizing group meetings
- Mapping of eligible couple, visits to the Households (HHs) to gather project relevant information with consent; impart knowledge on FP, motivating/counselling of women in the community settings, and linking up interested women/couple with the facility.
- Undertake activities to promote male engagement in contraceptive adoption
- Periodic visits to the FP users (especially implant and SubQ user) as per the MCGL India Yash developed protocol
- Periodic interaction and engagement with the local influencers and union leaders; along with tea garden authorities
- Gather project related information periodically and post compilation share it
- Periodically conduct trainings and refresher programs for field staff and ensure they have updated information on contraception and doubts are clarified
- Managing any conflict situation at the field level arising out of the project activities
- An organization which has a strong presence in the state of Assam including Dibrugarh
- Previous working experience with tea garden communities especially in Assam
- Previous working experience on awareness generation especially with tea communities
- Previous working experience on health-related project; advantage if already worked on FP issues
- All staff members preferably should be local and Assamese speaking is a must.
Proposals Due: 8th June 2023
For more information please check the Link
Latest Online Store
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd