TOR - Ecosystem Mapping of Rice Value Chain
Organization: SELCO Foundation
Apply By: 15 Oct 2022
About the Organization
SELCO Foundation seeks to inspire and implement socially, financially and environmentally inclusive solutions by improving access to sustainable energy.
About the Proposal
Most Indian farmers have marginal land holdings, with relatively small quantities of individual farm yield. Small and marginal farmers with less than two hectares of land account for 86.2% of all farmers in India, but own just 47.3% of the crop area. Cereals, particularly rice, is a preferred crop among marginal and small management practices, land ownership and use practices); value chain mapping (key stakeholders, flow of supplies and rmers.
There are other similar such regions across India & in the world that have different cropping patterns and market linkages. Hence, getting an overall view of the current practices across different parts of the world, comparing it with India and suggesting solutions that can be set as benchmark for different sizes based on requirements becomes critical for technology innovation driven by SDG 7.
The project seeks to identify the potential for sustainable energy driven Agri-livelihoods in the selected geographies. It intends to derive the scope for technology innovation specific to value chains in order to enable access to more sustainable, reliable and affordable local infrastructure to the community needs.
Scope of work
In each geography, select the agricultural commodities in which it has a comparative advantage and potential for developing the value chain;
- undertake a desk review of relevant activities conducted by government or other development partners on the selected commodity value chains;
- undertake a desk review of public-private engagement platforms for market based value chain strategic planning;
- Conduct value chain analysis for each of the selected commodities. The value chain assessments will entail: the agronomic production profiles (e.g. agricultural products, flow of funds and information, etc.); functionalanalysis of each value chain (profiling of industry structure, adoption of skills, technology and innovation); climate change implications; economic analysis of potential opportunities to add value along the chain; and policy and institutional conditions necessary to create suitable enabling environment for value chain development;
- Conduct assessments of demand and market conditions for products within selected value chains including analysis of input and output markets, their structure and dynamics between actors, procurement processes, related standards, existence of monopolies, identification of lead firms, etc.
- Based on the above tasks, identify constraints and barriers (financial, technology, infrastructure, human resources/skills, marketing, regulatory, policy, institutional) that must be addressed to enable the development of the value chains;
- Develop suitable agribusiness financing models that also address climate related risks;
- consolidate the outcome of the above tasks and prepare document of strategies and action plans;
- Conduct secondary desk research on the commodity specific - agriculture value chain
- Conduct primary research doing site visits, case analysis, meeting key stakeholders
- Develop baseline questionnaires/ templates of aspects to be covered (End user level, Value chain level etc.)
- Choosing sample size and identifying sites for baseline assessment in partnership with local partners and key stakeholders
- Data collection and analysis from baseline sites to arrive at demand estimates & potential SDG7 interventions.
- Mapping local stakeholders that enable specific livelihood Institutional Linkages and their ongoing work that is relevant to integration of decentralized RE solutions
- Collation of learnings, results from research, visits, baseline and ecosystem mapping for review and feedback
- Combination of primary and secondary research, Surveys/ questionnaires, key informant interviews, consultation & analysis.
- Report and slide deck on Value chain analysis for each priority value chain: including
- Levels/ process and activities in each phase, Key challenges faced- climate related, energy related and non-energy
- Energy needs, infrastructure and cooling needs; + Potential solutions (Testing/ pilot/ replication/ scale)
- Nodal points, Prominent schemes for that value chain within the district, Key ecosystem stakeholders for that value chain across:
- End-user facilitation groups: Agri cooperatives, SHGs, Federation, Producer Groups, Village Organizations FPOs/ FPCs, NGOs,
- Technology: Energy Entrepreneurs, Tech Enterprises,
- Skill development institutions: KVKs, ITIs, Local NGOs, DATC
- Government Departments and schemes (Credit linked schemes + other department schemes)
Financial Inclusion stakeholders (Bankers , SFAC, NABARD)
NGOs and CBOs: facilitating input-market linkages
- Slide deck compilation of sample end-user profiles (for each priority value chain)
- Location, Climate risks, Livelihood,Socio-economic vulnerability
- Typical end-user typologies ( (eg: individual farmer, SHG, Farmer group etc.) for each sub sectors/ priority value chains
- Income levels, activities undertaken, Production, Business model and cash flow
- Energy infrastructure: current and needs (including cooling); Sources and usage, Energy expenditures
- Individual ecosystem: access to Financing, Market linkages + inputs, Entrepreneurial ability,
- Report/ Deck summarizing baseline scenario and demand estimation for SDG7 interventions for key nodal points within each priority value chain (building on above two)
- Associated data sheets and interview summaries from Baseline
- Participation and presentation of,
- Initial study plans and feedback
- Draft sector level baselines and ecosystem to be presented and reviewed
- Final reports
How to Apply
Those interested may apply with the following information to email@example.com
- Proposal outlining the methodology, approach, milestones and budget; (max. 4 pages)
- Organizational profile and past experience relevant to this project
- CVs of project personnel.
Latest Online Store
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd