Senior Project Manager
Organization: Heifer International
Apply By: 28 Feb 2021
About the Organization:
Heifer International is a global non-profit working to end hunger and poverty and care for the Earth by using sustainable practices and engaging smallholder farmers in agricultural development. Heifer was founded on the simple belief that ending hunger begins with giving people the means to feed themselves, generate income and achieve sustainable livelihoods.
Position: Senior Project Manager
Heifer International is partnering with Cargill Inc. on the upcoming USAID project in India and Kenya. This anticipated five-year-multi-country activity will require the expertise of a qualified full-time Senior Project Manager for Heifer International India’s role on the project, which is implementing an innovative and market-driven solution that will inform research and development to increase access to safe, affordable, and high-quality animal-source nutrition and prevention of emerging zoonoses, transboundary animal diseases.
The Senior Project Manager will have wide-ranging responsibilities; including, but not limited to the following:
- Responsible for management and coordination of project activities in India to achieve the agreed impact.
- S/he provides leadership, technical, and administrative oversight to the project team to ensure high quality programming and alignment with the prime and consortium members.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
Project Technical Management, and Private and Public sector linkages, partnerships (40%)
- Manage the implementation of the various project studies and activities to drive the project towards the achievement of the planned outcomes and following USAID compliance regulations for implementation.
- In collaboration with the project team, lead the review, preparation, and development of training curriculum and materials on biosecurity and farm management as well as animal health and nutrition-related issues
- Mobilize CAVES and technical experts as appropriate as well as arranging their trainings on biosecurity, improved animal health and husbandry as well as farm management practices.
- Provide overall coordination in designing, engagement and implementing partnerships that will entail the provision of specialized biosecurity/ animal health advisory services, agro-inputs and training to address the commercial needs of various animal health/production value chain actors within the Project.
- Establish traceability systems with evidence of certain practices or inputs, which will allow farmers or input suppliers to secure accreditation or achieve market benchmarks, increasing their competitiveness in the market and potentially opening new market channels.
- Comprehensive capacity building of CAVES on animal nutrition and farm management undertaken.
- Training deployed through CAVES to producer organizations- targeting poultry and dairy farmers on biosecurity and farm management practices towards increasing household income.
- Revised and USAID approved training manuals and guides.
- Feasibility study highlighting key socio-economic factors that affect the position of smallholder farmers to sustainably adopt the product including determining appropriate price points for sustained use.
- Developing and deploying a data management system/ Animal Health Production information system.
- Early warning and response systems developed and embedded into extension systems operational in the determined Counties.
- Quality Assurance and accreditation system established for feed input suppliers to producer organizations in the determined counties.
Project Planning, Administrative Management, Budgeting and Reporting (25%)
- Develop an overall project operational plan aligned to the project results framework that will guide in project implementation.
- Development and implementation of project work plans per Prime and donor requirements
- Per prime and USAID requirements maintain monthly budget projections aligned to the project work plan and manage/ report on the spending as per the budgets.
- Assume overall responsibility for the management of the Project including project resources ensuring adherence to the compliance and accountability of USAID policies.
- Facilitate the establishment of project management structures within the targeted cluster/project area.
- Promote team effectiveness and organization through coordination of team meetings and events and manage the performance of employees engaged in the implementation of the project.
- Adhere to the USAID contractual reporting as well as internal Heifer reporting.
- Overall project operational plan developed and implemented.
- Project Workplans developed and approved by prime and donor as applicable for implementation.
- Budget monitored, expenses tracked and within budget (monthly, quarterly, annual projections) developed and managed to ensure spending variance is within +/- 10% through monthly and quarterly reports.
- Project physical resources are maintained in good condition in compliance with both Heifer and USAID requirements.
- Project Management structures operational and meetings documented.
- Employees engaged to work for the project effectively achieving project objectives and performance objectives are achieved per required by Heifer HR Policies.
- High- quality timely contractual reporting documents submitted,
Communications & Social Behavioral change (15%)
- Provide technical input into the development of messaging and guiding related to the project.
- Provide technical input into the development of social behavioral change messaging and communication.
- Technically sound social behavioral change messaging deployed for the target counties.
Monitoring and Evaluation (15%)
Work closely with the M&E staff to:
- Track the achievement of project outcomes
- Undertake quarterly technical reviews for the project.
- Develop and implement a system for monitoring the delivery and effectiveness of capacity building on biosecurity animal health and farm management practices
- In coordination with PD and Project Staff prepare project reports, presentations, develop project materials, in compliance with requirements.
- Technical Reviews of the project based on the M&E framework developed
- Project issues and risks monitored and reported
- Improved biosecurity and animals’ health and husbandry practices attributed to trained Community Agro-Vet Entrepreneurs (CAVES).
- Project reports timely and effectively submitted in compliance with requirements.
- Any other duties as assigned needed (5%)
- This will be dependent on the specific duties assigned
- A bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science or equivalent plus seven (7) years of job-related experience is required; demonstrated experience in project management including in USAID funded project budgets management, proposal development and monitoring and evaluation.
- Master’s Degree in Veterinary Science (Epidemiology) or equivalent in the fields of Agriculture (Animal production), or other related fields, plus five (5) years in a mix of animal production, epidemiology research and monitoring of transboundary diseases, livestock value chain competitiveness or project management.
- Significant experience in building public/private partnerships, preferably in the Agriculture/ Veterinary/Animal health sector.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and innovate within the Agriculture/Veterinary industry.
- Demonstrated project reporting and donor reporting experience
For more information please check the Link
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd