Subscribe our Weekly Newsletter
Team Leader (NCD and Comorbidities)
Organization: World Health Organization
Apply By: 13 Oct 2022
Location: New Delhi(Delhi)
About the Organization
The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health. The WHO Constitution states its main objective as "the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health".
Job Description/ Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative to India and the direct supervision of the Deputy Head of Country Office India, with a view to achieve the expected results set out in the relevant WCO-India biennial workplans in accordance with the WHO's Country Cooperation Strategy with India, the incumbent will lead WCO-India team working on noncommunicable diseases and will have the following responsibilities:
- Directing, coordinating, monitoring, and evaluating collaborative programmes, activities with the Government of India, UN agencies and other stakeholders in area of NCDs, mental health, injuries and disabilities, health promotion and social determinants of health.
- Strengthen national capacity to lead multi-sectoral partnerships and coordination for scaling up national responses to NCDs, mental health, injuries and disabilities.
- Provide guidance and support to the Government of India on implementation of national commitments in the high-level UN Political Declarations and global resolutions for NCDs, mental health, injuries and disabilities. Recommend technical assistance and support for the development and adaptation to the country context of the relevant WHO's normative materials (SOPs, guidelines etc.).
- Provide technical leadership and managerial support to the WHO Country office team working on NCDs and comorbidities, facilitate the development and the implementation of the relevant work plans under the WHO-->GOI collaborative programme while promoting cross collaboration with other programme areas (health systems, MCH, communicable diseases).
- Ensure effective management of human and financial resources for programmes, donor funded projects under his/her direct supervision.
- Promote development/adaptation of appropriate and sustainable interventions to help achieve the national goals and targets for prevention and control of NCDs, through people centred primary health care. Accelerate and align implementation of evidence based NCDs and mental health interventions (known as "best buys") as part of the UHC plans and strategies.
- Promote the generation of evidence on NCDs and their risk factors, as well as comorbidities and contribute to informed policy decisions by government and provide cutting edge policy advice including for multi-sectoral policies and actions.
- Provide advice in strengthening surveillance and monitoring system, high quality research and dissemination of information with aim to strengthen NCD prevention and control, mental health promotion and prevention of injuries and disabilities. Assist Government and stakeholders to monitor the trends and determinants and evaluate progress in their prevention and control.
- Liaise and coordinate with concerned technical units/ departments of MOH&FW, WHO/SEARO and WHO/HQ and with donor and development partners (UN and bilateral) to harmonise recommendations on policies and strategies related to NCDs and comorbidities area and advocate for intersectoral actions.
- Support in reducing modifiable risk factors for NCDs, mental health, injuries and underlying social determinants of health through facilitating health promoting environments.
- Ensure technical quality and relevance of contractual engagements with partners and institutions, make recommendations to the supervisors regarding WHO's support.
- Collaborate with MOH&FW and selected states to undertake gap analyses and support capacity building efforts on NCDs (such as cardiovascular diseases, cancers, chronic lung diseases, diabetes) injuries and disabilities, mental disorders and comorbidities.
- Support information brokering/exchange function of WCO India through contributions to the health information repository at the WCO India by collation, analysis and sharing of relevant health information and statistics.
- Prepare administrative and technical reports and presentations and undertake any other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisors.
Education Qualification/Required Skills & Experience
- Essential: Advanced university degree in health (medicine, public health) and/ or social sciences.
- Desirable: Post graduate degree in Public Health, non-communicable diseases, social sciences or business administration.
- Essential: At least 10 years of professional experience with progressive responsibility in public health and non-communicable diseases and policy analyses and advice as well in technical assistance to countries, including capacity-building, evidence generation and evaluation.
- Desirable: Experience of work in UN and/or other international organizations. Experience in planning, project management and system administration, public health research - preferably in the areas of NCDs and mental health would be an asset.
- The incumbent should identify with the core values of the World Health Organization.
- Thorough knowledge of the situation in India with regard to non-communicable diseases and their risk factors, with good understanding of country's needs and priorities, issues and policies in various aspects of non-communicable disease burden. Very good knowledge of WHO policies, programmes and guidelines in the related areas.
- Modern management skills (team management, performance management, planning evaluation, etc.). Capacity to prepare terms of reference and to prepare and monitor and manage the implementation of contractual agreements. Capacity to convey information and options in a structured and credible way; ability to speak and write clearly. Proficiency in computer applications and ability to draft reports.
- Knowledge of WHO /UN agencies programmes and practices will be an advantage.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Producing results
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
For more information please check the Link
Register for India's Largest CSR Event-India CSR Summit
© Renalysis Consultants Pvt Ltd